Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Where do you source your helmets?

Article about: Come on guys this thread was started by one of our most respected and experienced Helmet collectors to be informative and interesting for all level of Helmet collectors yet some of you have

?

Default Re: Where do you source your helmets?

Come on guys this thread was started by one of our most respected and experienced Helmet collectors to be informative and interesting for all level of Helmet collectors yet some of you have managed to almost get a full blown argument going !!!

That really isn't good enough , lets just get the thread back on track and learn from each other,

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Where do you source your helmets?
    P
    Many

?

Thanks Paul

The idea of the thread was part frustration and part opportunity on my part. I am always curious as to where some of these really bad fakes are being sourced from and sometimes feel quite frustrated when it seems that no effort is spent on determining if the helmet is real other than a quick post.
    We learn nothing from "is it real" posts. Spending a few hours a week studying real examples quickly gives the knowledge to ferret out these obvious fakes and helps to push them to the oblivion they deserve.

So asking a direct question, where do you source your helmets from, is to me an opportunity to advance some collector wisdom to those that I see are looking for "fast food" collecting advice rather than taking that time searching on bad sites looking for that needle in the haystack of needles, to rather spend that valuable time studying and becoming educated as much as they can, or feel they need to be.

There is really one currency in this hobby and it is knowledge. With that knowledge you can much more easily spot those needles and become a confident collector.

Using the example of that Croatian SS helmet that was recently posted, an exchange of ideas and opinions results and everyone learns. Using one of the many "Is it real" threads all we see is "No" and "I dont know but I like it" answers which helps nobody in the hobby.

So gents, that is the deal behind this thread, and I ask again, where are you sourcing your steel from, and can you arm yourself with better knowledge? It is right there in front of us begging to be learned.

Cheers
    Doug

May I also thank Paul. I don't want to be dragged into pointless arguments every time I put a posting on here. I really do dispair at the attitude of some people on here who always want to have a sly dig. I answered the question on where I source helmets honestly. My M35 S/D which I put on this forum was indeed purchased from a dealer who usually only sells general antiques. And as a result of this I was able to purchase at a rock-bottom price. My Austrian transitional M17 was purchased from a dealer in Liverpool. Both these helmets were totally original and 'unmessed' with. My only other source of militaria is the usual militaria fairs. But I have noticed a very sad trend from many dealers to sell blatant fakes as the real thing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4