Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where are they?

Article about: As far as I met the helmets which was stored by Soviet stocks, they was disassembled ( mostly leather part removed), and easily dumped in shellholes etc in the mid of 50's. Here in Estonia a

Default Where are they?

I was wondering where all those helmets from Stalingrad and all of those many other battles are at? There must be zillions of stuff in Russian warehouses and such.It seems someone is coming up with some new finds every so often. K98's etc. plus ammo are just some of the stuff dealers have here.A pawn shop near me has a few crates full of Mosin's. I also wonder if and when they surface,what the prices will be? Just like the SKS's used to bring BIG bucks. A lot of people took some good loses. Will the same happen to helmets?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Where are they?
    P
    Many

OKW
    ?

Default Re: Where are they?

Melted down to make razor blades

Hi,
    alot of captured helmets were buried in pits and filled in they are being found to this day. but most of the equipment that was captured was sold to other countries after the war to build up there armies for defence. Counties like Finland ect had most of the German and Russian stuff, There are a lot of Mosin,s never used coming on the market.
    dave.

Seanpmc1
    ?

My brother bought a brand new Mosin a few weeks ago. Still packed in cosmoline. It actually surprised me on accuracy. About a 4 inch group at 100yds.

Biggest problem I saw with it is the sights. They completely cover the black on a 100yd Target. It shot high anyway, so we just held at 6:00 on the Black. Without any sight adjustment, that put the group about 3 inches high in the 2:00 position on the Bull.

A scope would definitely be an improvement. One other problem is the kick. I don't know if its the steel buttplate, or the stock ergonomics, but that thing belts the hell out of you. My shoulder was black and blue the next day, and I only shot two stripper-clips through it.

They are a 'hoot' to shoot and the kick is half the fun! As for all those helmets in limbo....

Seanpmc1
    ?

Quote by packin9 View Post
    As for all those helmets in limbo....

Just my opinion, but I would bet most were recycled or otherwise destroyed. The distinctive design and the stigmata associated with them would have made them too controversial to have any military value at the time.

Pretty good design though, as evidenced by our current version...

I still wouldn't be a all surprised if in that great expanse there are huge stocks of em. Look at all those British 1898 Martini rifles, bayonets etc. found in,I believe,India.( I think the exact location is still under raps) Been stashed for longer than WW2 items. Dealers are still getting shipments. Ya never know.....

?

The Martini's were from the Nepal armoury cache.

Discussed here ...

YouTube - Christian Cranmer discusses the Nepal Cache: Part One

Gary J.

I still wouldn't be a all surprised if in that great expanse there are huge stocks of em. Look at all those British 1898 Martini rifles, bayonets etc. found in,I believe,India.( I think the exact location is still under raps) Been stashed for longer than WW2 items. Dealers are still getting shipments. Ya never know.....

Seanpmc1
    ?

I still wouldn't be a all surprised if in that great expanse there are huge stocks of em.
    Probably all in hidden Desert bunkers. Didn't you watch that Jackie Chan movie? Operation Condor, I think is what is was called... ;-)

?

...There must be zillions of stuff in Russian warehouses and such....
    Doubtful. Panzer3 has said it, buried, melted down, etc. No need to store such things, no use for them as captured war materiel would have been recycled or simply disposed of with the most effecient means at hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast