Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Why do you collect WW2 German helmets?

Article about: because i like them

Default Why do you collect WW2 German helmets?

'Why do you collect German helmets?' This is a question which people are always asking me, sometimes I find it hard to give a definitive answer, but I have been thinking about this a lot lately and here are my reasons.

I have always been interested in history, ever since I was at Primary School. As I got older I realised that war and history are linked intrinsically and I wanted to try and understand just what the men involved in the most destructive conflict man has ever known went through. I find holding an ORIGINAL German steel helmet gives me a kind of catalyst which fires my imagination and somehow enables me to more deeply contemplate and understand the sheer horrific magnitude of this war and the history that I have read about in so many books. But why not an American M1 or British Mk2? The reason Europe erupted into war in 1939 was because of Hitler and the Nazi Party,the Wehrmacht was the tool which was used by Hitler to pursue the 2nd World War, so in short when I hold a German helmet, I am indirectly holding the reason and the cause for WW2 in my hands, and you cant really say that about the aforementioned helmets. I don't and never will condone or support the actions of the Nazi Party or those that carried out barbaric war crimes, but I think we should all understand that not every man in the Wehrmacht was a Nazi or guilty of war crimes. A Russian woman watching a parade of German POW's after the defeat at Stalingrad sums it up for me " look at them, just like our poor boys, forced into war".

Next time someone asks me 'Why do you collect German helmets', this will be my answer. I hope it makes sense

I would be interested to here what my fellow WRF members reasons for collecting are.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Why do you collect WW2 German helmets?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Why do you collect WW2 German helmets?

My reasons are similar. I also find the variety of colours and decals as well as the various models and differences in manufacturers intriguing. Like in most hobbies, the more one learns, the more one wants to learn more and that involves hands on experience. This feeds the desire for additions to a collection.

I find that German helmets are the most aesthetically pleasing to my particular tastes, although I strongly condemn the ideology and actions of Nazis. I find it easy to reconcile my collecting interests with the horrors of WWII since the machinery and accoutrements of warfare are not what committed atrocities. Some may have different opinions and I respect that, but I would not trade my hobby for any other and I think we are all mature enough to turn away if something is offensive instead of trying to censor others or dictate what they can or cannot own.

I agree with you, it's all about history, I love other German stuff than just helmets, but the helmets are just the best designed helmets ever, if you watch the military channel, they did a top 10 on soldiers armor, the stahl helm was # 7 on the list, but the U.S. was afraid to copy that helmet for years, but they finally did, I agree, most Germans were innocent victims too, just a few high ranking cronies was the problem, my Uncle has passed now, but he was German, he fought in Korea for the U.S., but he was embarresed to admit to being German, so when I got my helmet redone I put his name in it. may he R.I.P. personally I think Hitler destroyed one of the best armies in history. jmho.

I suppose my interest stems from my chilhood in the 50's, when every kid wanted a 'jerry' helmet. I think it was more to do with wanting to own something which belonged to the enemy more than anything else. But it is firearms and their destructive power which brings home to me the horrors of war. A helmet is only a form of protection to the user. It is the shape of the helmet with which we (as kids) identified the enemy and our own side. I have met many of our former foe's when I served in Germany. And as many ex-soldier's will tell you, we all share a lot in common.

I love the way they are made too, they ooze quality. The Wehrmacht had some really good quality kit, made to last! You don't find that sort of quality with anything these days.
    Harry, I'm developing quite an interest in German fire arms too lately, I have my eye on a nice Mauser K98

?

My interest started as a young boy when my dad got me my first german helmet, bought from petticoat market, for about £2.00, it had a nice liner, luftwaffe decal, and was totally original but didnt have a chin strap, for some reason dad kept buying them every few months until i had about 10, all in various stages of condition, but only three had decals and no SS, dad wouldnt buy them, he also bought other helmets, english, american no japanese , dad to;ld me that one day these would be worth a great deal of money, well he was right on that,but i developed a liking for TR and the money side didnt worry me so i just kept collecting, but over the years i virtually got rid of my large collection and got married in 76,joined the police force, but ever since ive been building up a collection of all militaria, just wish id kept all the others, id be a rich man now, but i dont think i would be selling any, in truth im a bit of a hoarder, to my wifes dismay, but youve got to do something in your later years

The iconic design and the history is why I collect them.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    I love the way they are made too, they ooze quality. The Wehrmacht had some really good quality kit, made to last! You don't find that sort of quality with anything these days.
    Harry, I'm developing quite an interest in German fire arms too lately, I have my eye on a nice Mauser K98
    have you ever shot a mauser? just curious, when I bought mine, I looked at a 30-06, & thought humm, the 8mm is just a little shorter, then I was thinking my right shoulder is all torn up, this is going to kill me, but after I put one in the chamber I stood there and squeezed one off the gun never moved, no recoil at all, I love my m-1 carbine & my ak -47. but the k98 is so well made & it impressed me, I hardly let anyone know I have it , crap now i want to pop a few rounds out of it tomorrow, well later today.

regards Marty

Quote by crazy horse View Post
    have you ever shot a mauser? just curious, when I bought mine, I looked at a 30-06, & thought humm, the 8mm is just a little shorter, then I was thinking my right shoulder is all torn up, this is going to kill me, but after I put one in the chamber I stood there and squeezed one off the gun never moved, no recoil at all, I love my m-1 carbine & my ak -47. but the k98 is so well made & it impressed me, I hardly let anyone know I have it , crap now i want to pop a few rounds out of it tomorrow, well later today.

regards Marty
    I have never shot a Mauser or any other fire arms, I'm in the UK which makes that kind of impossible. Unless of course you have a license and I don't fancy going through all the hassle attached to getting one of those. The Mauser that I am talking about is deactivated anyhow. Enjoy your shooting!

I would think shooting a K98 is like shooting a Lee-Enfield, and I was a first class marksman with one of those. The worst gun I ever fired was a Swedish .50cal military percussion-fire musket. I was only 12 at the time, and I was advised to kneel and NOT lie down - as the recoil would damage my spine. I squeezed the trigger, ended up flat on my back - and with a badly bruised shoulder and cut cheek.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast