Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

would like help with sd heer m40

Article about: this is the first german helmet i bought just would like to no what you guys think, i was very green to german helmets when i got this but one thing i picked up on this helmet was the chin s

Default would like help with sd heer m40

this is the first german helmet i bought just would like to no what you guys think, i was very green to german helmets when i got this but one thing i picked up on this helmet was the chin strap smells realy strong of leather and buckel looks to me has some sort of stain on it from the strap. but to me the decal looks ok or this helmet was a well worn lid. also maybe someone has tryed to clean it some stage. but the decal sits off center to the vent?. its EF64 5183. the strap has no marks,its 3mm thick 13 holes and the buckel has 6 stiches to each side. thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture would like help with sd heer m40   would like help with sd heer m40  

would like help with sd heer m40   would like help with sd heer m40  

would like help with sd heer m40   would like help with sd heer m40  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement would like help with sd heer m40
    P
    Many

Default Re: would like help with sd heer m40

The helmet itself looks find, nice worn M40. As you said it looks like its been cleaned, hence the decal colour and fuzzy look. IMO the chinstrap looks like a repro, looks to new for the helmet for one, but I am not a chinstrap expert.

Cheers
    Jason

?

Looks like a fake strap, not sure on the decal either it's pretty rough but I don't like that decal placement.

Everything Jason said, I agree with. The condition of the chin strap does not match the condition of the liner. The smell of fresh leather on is never ever a good sign. Leather doesn't smell like leather after 70+ years. It will have a smell, but not of leather. Not a bad helmet for your first helmet. Guess what?! It won't be your last, either. Prepare for an addiction.

ha yes it is a addiction been trying to read a much as i can about german helmets, but i cant belive how many fakes are out there now that i no a little bit.i read dougs post on ss decals very good post doug. and what a collection. but i would hate to think how many people out there bought a ss helmet thinking its the real thing, and paying for it to only to find out there got a fake. but thanks agin. im just waiting for some books to come now, will try to study them as much as i can

ha yes it is a addiction been trying to read a much as i can about german helmets, but i cant belive how many fakes are out there now that i no a little bit.i read dougs post on ss decals very good post doug. and what a collection. but i would hate to think how many people out there bought a ss helmet thinking its the real thing, and paying for it to only to find out there got a fake. but thanks agin. im just waiting for some books to come now, will try to study them as much as i can
    I was in the same place you were about 4 months ago, just starting out, this forum helped alot, always ask or post photos here of any helmet you may purchase before you purchase it, I have read many books since then and researched alot on the web, Im still a green rookie but I have about 5 helmets now and I can confindently say they are all authentic due to A, this forum, B, buying from trusted well known sources and C, my own research. The amount of knowledge to be learned is deeper then the ocean so everyday is a new adventure with this hobby, that is why its so addicting, it never grows old.
    The strap on your helmet is a repo, I know this because I purposly bought one and it smells like leather and looks exactly like yours, not a bad thing if you only want it for display purposes since real straps cost 150US and repos only about 35US, The decal could be real or it was a fake and may have been purposly cleaned to cover up that fact, as far as the placement is concerned I have a M40 SD and the decal is alittle foward of the air vent also, they called these "monday morning" decals as the person applying them was usually hungover from a weekend of drinking, Ive been told this has been known to happen in war time, take a look at the decal on this picture below, and you will see how far back it was placed. As I said before Im no expert and probably last on the list of giving advice here so if im wrong about anything I will just chalk it up to trying to help a fellow collector with the little bit of knowledge I have. First lid is always special so cherish it for what its worth. Peace.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Looks like a fake strap, not sure on the decal either it's pretty rough but I don't like that decal placement.
    I am with Doug on this one.

yea if decals were put on by humans theres always margin for error. but on some helmets the decals were put on funny to identify units or hide ss units would that be right. im not saying this one is. but were decal flexographic print or offset plate printed. yea this site has realy helped me alot its becoming a good hobby