Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 battle damaged German helmet with WW2 Nazi decals

Article about: I have this WW1 German helmet with WW2 Nazi decals and I'm dying to know if they are real. Now I'm not a ww2 guy and I don't know Nazi decals at all. Here are some reasons I have to believe

?

Question WW1 battle damaged German helmet with WW2 Nazi decals

I have this WW1 German helmet with WW2 Nazi decals and I'm dying to know if they are real.
    Now I'm not a ww2 guy and I don't know Nazi decals at all.

Here are some reasons I have to believe they may be real:

-there is splattered/dripped paint around both decals, I think if someone were professionally faking a decal, they would do the best possible job they could and not be dripping globs of paint everywhere.

-the Nazi decal also seems to be painted over top of a similar decal to the one on the other side, and I don't see pitting underneath any paint. (again I know nothing of ww2 decals)

-and if you look at the national colors shield decal, some of the paint has been blow off by the force of the shrapnel strike next to it. and looking at the shrapnel holes, all jagged and torn edges show the same patina/age/rust as everything else which makes me think the decal is original.

If anyone can give me their opinions that would be great !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 battle damaged German helmet with WW2 Nazi decals   WW1 battle damaged German helmet with WW2 Nazi decals  

WW1 battle damaged German helmet with WW2 Nazi decals   WW1 battle damaged German helmet with WW2 Nazi decals  

WW1 battle damaged German helmet with WW2 Nazi decals   WW1 battle damaged German helmet with WW2 Nazi decals  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 battle damaged German helmet with WW2 Nazi decals
    P
    Many

M38
    ?

Difficult to tell from these pictures alone but from what I can see, neither decal looks to be the proper size or shape for originals. Location is also a bit off. No logical reason to have that decal combination either. Sorry.

On the positive side, the shell is obviously real. Any history as to how it got all the damage? Post war target practice or alleged battle damage?

Cheers,
    Terry

?

maybe the decals where done by hand (like a trench art kind of thing)? I know soldiers were allowed to paint camo patterns but were they allowed to paint decals? I dont know.

As for the battle damage, I dont know any history on that. But like I stated above, the broken edges of the steel show the same pitting, rust, and age as any other part of the helmet so I dont think it was done post-war. The damage seems to be as old as the helmet, or atleast when it was last used in ww2.

As Terry says this is a queer one.

My theory (read guess!) is a helmet made up in WW2 by Allied Forces and used for target practise.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Perhaps a show of patriotism from a member of the Volkssturm? The shields both certainly appear to have been there for some time.

?

Having a party shield and a Wehrmacht tricolor makes no sense, I suspect both are postwar.

I think Ade is right.