Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ww1 german helmet

Article about: I have had this helmet for a while, it was given to me over 40 years ago. I am in process of cataloguing my helmets and would like to know a bit more about the lugs or pieces of metal that s

?

Default Ww1 german helmet

I have had this helmet for a while, it was given to me over 40 years ago. I am in process of cataloguing my helmets and would like to know a bit more about the lugs or pieces of metal that seem to be welded on the inside of the rim Ww1 german helmetWw1 german helmetWw1 german helmetWw1 german helmetWw1 german helmetWw1 german helmetWW1 of the helmet. Moreover the liner is not the original liner but it has always been there, this how it was found. The two larger pieces of metal on rivets have been squashed together. I seems that the chin strap was attached to these before they put a new liner. Could you please help. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ww1 german helmet
    P
    Many

It's a WW1 Austrian helmet refurbished for WW2 which is why it has that M31 liner. The two plates is where the WW1 chinstrap would have been attached to.

Can you post some good photos of both decals ?
    Also try to post larger photos as these do not enlarge.

I'm sure the shell is a WW1 Austrian equivalent of the German M16, going by the chinstrap rivet head placement,looks nice !
    Regards
    Paul

I have seen this before, the welded loops for a chinstrap.
    D.

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    I have seen this before, the welded loops for a chinstrap.
    D.
    A first for me. Does anyone have photos of what they look like (these are broken it appears)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The two examples I saw, the "loop" was actually a rectangle shape, sharp corners.
    D.

M38
    ?

Here are some photos of mine. A single decal not double like the one in this thread but otherwise the same style helmet.

Cheers,
    Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww1 german helmet   Ww1 german helmet  

Ww1 german helmet   Ww1 german helmet  

Ww1 german helmet   Ww1 german helmet  

Ww1 german helmet  

3 types of chin strap attachment point all on one helmet, that sure is something you don't see every day!
    Imagine fitting every one with the chinstrap that belongs there , that'd be an interesting looking helmet then
    I like the look of the OP's helmet, but as said closer up pictures would be good.
    What's the liner band date if you can read it?
    Since it is an alu-reinforced liner, as to be expected, for such a helmet.
    But it has round chin strap bales so it should be 1940 dated or later and probably made by Werner Zahn.
    Luis

Terry, that's a beautiful example of a trannie!

Thank you for showing.

Andrew

Great helmet. Oddly Terry, yours still has the original Austrian bales attached. Why bother with the "new bales" ? Have also heard (in theory) these might have been for cavalry units to attach the helmet to horse tack. Maybe using a leather equipment strap, the loops appear wider than what might be needed for a chinstrap. All speculation of course
    Thanks for showing, D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast