Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?

Article about: Hi folks...I was hoping for some input on this helmet I picked up yesterday. I collect mainly US helmets but I do have a Luft and Heer helmet...so I d like to think I know the difference in

Default WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?

Hi folks...I was hoping for some input on this helmet I picked up yesterday. I collect mainly US helmets but I do have a Luft and Heer helmet...so I d like to think I know the difference in an unmessed with helmet and an altered one. This one was poorly stored and looks like a mouse had a recent had a field day with the liner. It has heavy rust to the back of the helmet and some on the inner rim. Looks like someone removed some of the rust from the edge as it was very thick. Its a Quist 64 with DN322 number in the back. Two owner names. The liner is dry and rather hard. The chin strap is like a piece of jerky..but unbroken. I know its a pretty salty example but I felt it was worthy for a fairly low price. Comments please
    Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?   WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?  

WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?   WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?  

WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?   WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?
    P
    Many

Aerosol spray job!....

fair enough about aerosol...but paint was not sprayed with compressed air previous to aerosol ?

?

I think it's a good camo myself that's seen better days and poorly stored.

I am not a Camo guy, but this one does look good to me as well. Jim G.

Now, Me? I don't care for it due to the fine-ness of the aerosol spray pattern. Certainly, they had air guns, but air guns for painting Big things like trucks and tanks and other equipment. The spray paint on this helmet looks like it was applied with a model airplane air gun and aged extremely well afterwards.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I think it's a good one.

Of course larger photos in natural light would be very helpful but IMO it looks good.

Josh

there is nothing wrong with it being sprayed, airless spray tech has been around sine the 1920's and on large and small scale, so the notion of a helmet being to 'small' to spray in the field as a factor to discount is as a 'fake' is nonsense - here is an example of a 30's era american version.

WW2 German cammo pattern barn find...real deal?

from popular mechanix March 1940.

Spray-Gun Artist Paints with Automobile Enamel | Modern Mechanix

Looks good to me too, correct colors and patina.

Hi, well this one has caused a split jury! Personally I like it. The colours, wear/patina and overall condition of the helmet look good to me. As for the fineness of the spray, I would go with the accepted notion that the vast majority of cammo's were sprayed in the field with vehicle painting equipment hence the "gauge/thicker" fineness of the paint. I guess some may have been done with personal/privately owned machines but I would be exceedingly wary of one if I saw it. Rag/paintbrush or military grade spray for me everyday. Leon.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast