Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

for your consideration

Article about: not doing very well lately, and you guys help so much, so here is another offering. there is only 1 pic, and i know thats not good enough to make an evaluation of authenticity, but its a sta

?

Default for your consideration

not doing very well lately, and you guys help so much, so here is another offering.

there is only 1 pic, and i know thats not good enough to make an evaluation of authenticity, but its a start.. if its in the running i will request more pics.

as usual thanks for your help in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture for your consideration  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement for your consideration
    P
    Many

ian
    ?

Default Re: for your consideration

MMMMn more pics neaded here , im not even sure of the shell at the moment ,is it double decal ? alot more pics , liner and close of decal/decals i think cheers ian
    loose liner pins is not good to start , neads natural light for pics etc etc cheers again ian

?

hi ian the description is short...

A German Waffen SS reverse decal helmet (the decal is placed on the opposite side of standard regulation), with leather lining and chin strap

ill request more pics

ian
    ?

mmm interesting description , lets see what comes of it ,cheers ian

ian
    ?

if you look closely at the front visor ,and folow it with your eye it looks out of shape about 1" left of the liner pin in the photo , oh well lets give it a chance till we get more pics cheers ian
    this anomoly is indictive of some of the chinease repro helmets as they dont roll the edges properly /only more better pics will tell
    allso a wrong sided SS decal is rare and rings the allarm bells when ever seen
    it would be a realy wonderfull find if it is real

The runic decal is not real. Jim G.

ian
    ?

hey jim can you say why you think its bad so that Heydon understands cheers ian

ian
    ?

the more i look at the shell the better it seems shape wise ,i think it is at least a real shell ,lets wait for moe pics befor we judge this one ,likelyhood the decal is bad , but i say that only becouse the vast majority of these wrong sided decals are bad , i cannot see inof close detail to make a judgment , cheers ian

Ian and Heydon, There are basicallly 2 patterns to runic decals, the "first pattern" that look basically like the Pocher decals, and the "second pattern", like the ET style runic shield. There are some subtle differences in the composition of the decals, and the proportions and positioning of the runes on the shields between manufacturers, but the runes on this helmet are nothing like either the "first" or "second" pattern. They are too thin, and the tops and bottoms of each rune do not come together as they should. By that I mean that the tops and bottoms of the runes on this piece are adjacent to each other, rather than overlapping. I posted pictures of a few Pocher decals and an ET decal of the recent thread regarding the "messed with reverse decal SS helmet", and if you compare those to the decal on this lid the differences are easy to see. The decal on this appears to be a 60's or 70'S vintage repro, styled more after a SS motorcyle or vehicle license plate than a helmet decal. It is hard to describe in words the problems with this decal, but I hope this rambling reply helps. Cheers, Jim G.
    Last edited by helmet2id; 05-28-2010 at 05:25 PM.

ian
    ?

good one ,very well explaned Jim , its dificult with out comparison pics but i think you have managed it , cheers ian