Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Army/Heer buckles, a brief history

Article about: by kilomikesierra1960 Sure thing, here's a nice one of the heavier style on an amazingly supple belt I just picked up ;-) Really wonderful patina, and the interesting thing is a Polish name

Default Re: Army/Heer buckles, a brief history

M, RAD buckes are cheap anyway, they are quite an underestimated buckle to be honest, if you need any help just let me know
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Army/Heer buckles, a brief history
    P
    Many

Ben,

Thx for compiling this info, great for learners ;-) I know you've done a sticky like this one before, but this does have the more basic info that I was looking for.

Other questions would be about the catch?

Did the catch material change from aluminum to steel around the same time as the buckles?

What is the difference between the sewed catch and the pinned ones? I've gotten several different answers on this (from seller's that may know less than they think , or just simply don't know...). One answer I got was "I think it's just different makers", but is this an era thing too, early vs late? I see that post war belts and a pinned catch.

Also see some referred to as "light duty" catch, pinned type, vs "combat belt" generally showing a sewed catch.

Can you shed some definitive light on this?

Another thing on the belts is the sewed adjustment flap, which as I've found out, disappeared in 1944 or so, with adjustment holes through the leather itself. i.e "late war" belt.

Can you just explain what you mean by this please "What is the difference between the sewed catch and the pinned ones? " I understand waht you mean by sewed catch and pinned catch?

Thanks
    Ben

Quote by kilomikesierra1960 View Post
    Ben,

Other questions would be about the catch?

Did the catch material change from aluminum to steel around the same time as the buckles?

The catch would have changed when they changed from aluminium to steel, one of the big problems of the aluminium catch was wear. If you look at heavily worn combat buckles the catches are very thin and worn away, if can imagine a hard steel hook on the belt constantly rubbing against soft aluminium, running around, the stress of the weight from the field equipment attached to the belt. This was not the sole reason why they went to steel but it solved a problem for them when they did.
    Ben

Ben,

Also see some referred to as "light duty" catch, pinned type, vs "combat belt" generally showing a sewed catch.

Can you shed some definitive light on this?
    Ref the light weight catch I am presuming you are refering to the light weight catches on the walking/parade buckles? If so then again these belts and buckles would not have taken any weight, only maybe a bayonet and frog and a pair of empty pouches for parades so the design did not have to be as strong, it was not needed for the stress rigors of combat.
    Ben

Ben,

Another thing on the belts is the sewed adjustment flap, which as I've found out, disappeared in 1944 or so, with adjustment holes through the leather itself. i.e "late war" belt.
    Again, to save leather the leather tongue was removed on the late war M44 belt and holes were just punched in the leather
    Ben

Ok, all questions pretty much answered ;-) Yes, by pinned catch I mean the catch that is folded over the belt and pinned in two places, which does seem much weaker than the heavy leather belt folded over and then sewed in that typical german horseshoe shape.

?

Great thread Ben.

Ok, all questions pretty much answered ;-) Yes, by pinned catch I mean the catch that is folded over the belt and pinned in two places, which does seem much weaker than the heavy leather belt folded over and then sewed in that typical german horseshoe shape.
    Mate can you show me a pic?
    Ben

Sure thing, here's a nice one of the heavier style on an amazingly supple belt I just picked up ;-) Really wonderful patina, and the interesting thing is a Polish name inside the belt. Quite interesting histories on the Poles in the Wehrmacht...

Did you mean pics of the two variations? I think you have some excellent ones in your three belt listings? Two of one style and one of the other with the "replaced hook";-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast