Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

bakelite belt buckles

Article about: by David North Here is the buckle in question. I have held these images for an absolute age and goodness knows who supplied them. If the owner of the said buckle recognises it, then please l

Default Re: Resin Buckles

Quote by David North View Post
    Here is the buckle in question.

I have held these images for an absolute age and goodness knows who supplied them. If the owner of the said buckle recognises it, then please let me know and I will if requested, delete the images.

This buckle in material, configuration and design form was first mooted in the mid 1930's and is not the product of war time economies or the need for a non metal buckle in North Africa.

Regards,

David
    nice, what is the the value of one of this bakeliet belt buckles

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement bakelite belt buckles
    P
    Many

Default Re: bakelite belt buckles

If you could ever find one I would hate to imagine.I suppose a avid heer collector would pay £1000's I would have done
    Ben

Ben

Another interesting link and I think a different buckle.

Uniforms of the NSDAP, Gallery, Army Bakelite Buckle

Regards,

David

i want one of them
    Last edited by klinger; 01-05-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Quote by David North View Post
    Ben

Another interesting link and I think a different buckle.

Uniforms of the NSDAP, Gallery, Army Bakelite Buckle

Regards,

David
    Thanks for that link David and very interesting, nice to have all them pictures for reference. Do you have any personal theories as to the use of this buckle? Or even if you think it is period?
    Ben

?

Hello I got to see one of these bakelite buckles early last year. You can find the thread on WFA. It was in mint condition. I would say it has to be a prototype. It wouldn't have held up to hard use but it was a great looking buckle.

As for the value, the current owner told me he was offered $5000. He might bring it to the SOS again this year. kirby
    Last edited by kirby; 12-03-2015 at 02:04 AM.

Quote by klinger View Post
    i heard they where for afrika made as the steel ones get too hot and the bakelit ones not
    This sounds like a plausable explaination to me.

Bakelite is quite durable - harder than plastic really - and especially cheap.
    Judging from the buckle photos, could well have been sturdy enough.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by kirby View Post
    Hello I got to see one of these bakelite buckles early last year. You can find the thread on WFA. It was in mint condition. I would say it has to be a prototype. It wouldn't have held up to hard use but it was a great looking buckle.

As for the value, the current owner told me he was offered over $5000. He might bring it to the SOS again this year. kirby
    Wow Kirby, for me one of the Holy Grails of buckles and you held it in your hands, you are the Messiah!
    Ben

?

Bakelite buckles, it boggles the mind (no pun intended). Never seen those before.

Hard to believe, that they would be able to withstand daily wear - let alone the rigors of combat.

Im in the prototype or sample club.

Very interesting.

CMc
    ?

It wouldn't have surprised me if these were some sort of prototype Ersatz item, that never got used because they didn't have the durability needed, but judging by the information others have supplied it wasn't that.

It kind of reminds me of one non-German, non WWII 'ersatz' use for bakelite. During the 1960s/70s, Soviet Ukraine built a small car called the Zaphorojets 966, which was heavily cloned from the contemporary Hillman Imp and the NSU Prinz, which for reasons presumably stemming from cost cutting and reduction of valuable steel being used, had timing gears and several other mechanical parts made of Bakelite. As you can imagine, they didn't last long.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast