Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

bakelite belt buckles

Article about: by David North Here is the buckle in question. I have held these images for an absolute age and goodness knows who supplied them. If the owner of the said buckle recognises it, then please l

?

Default Re: bakelite belt buckles

bakelite buckles are made and worn at the end war.lack of savings the metal written in the books. example book "deutsches koppelschlosser 1919-1945"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement bakelite belt buckles
    P
    Many

?

I will still go with a pre war experimental buckle. I don't see this as a late war buckle.

I've just come across this thread - what a fantastic buckle!

The eagle etc. look carved to me, rather than moulded or stamped. The detail looks really crisp. Checking on the internet to see if Bakelite can be carved, I came across this - Information about Bakelite - which certainly confirms you can carve and machine bakelite and that it was used for belt buckles.

But you wouldn't carve or machine a belt buckle intended for mass production. I am so far from being an expert on all this that I feel I almost dare not add my tuppence worth but this must be a prototype if not simply a decorative piece.

Maybe some particularly artistic (and nationalistic!) worker in a bakelite factory did this in his spare time?

?

Bakelite in the war on the mass production of manufactured bottles, boxes, cigarette lighters itp photos of these things can be found on the Internet. company manufactured and buckles but in small number end the war so these buckles are rare. prototypes and experimental buckles I've seen only from the metal

?

example of wwii germany cigarette lighter made of bakelite
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture bakelite belt buckles   bakelite belt buckles  

i find oane today no bakelite but look
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture bakelite belt buckles  

I love this buckle, no matter why they made it!

I do tend to err on the side of the "prewar experimental model" theory as at the time there was a lot of experimentation going on with lots of different materials, some of which passed, and went into production,while others did not.
    I can well imagine that these would have been reasonably durable (after all bakelite was used for bayonet/pistol grips/fuse containers) but not liked by the troops at the time as these buckles would certainly have dumbed down their walking out uniform.

?

I have a friend here that asked me if i could find him a Bakelite buckle... I do not see this happening in the near future. I would be lucky just to find one for sale

Regards, Lars

Quote by Datrus View Post
    I have a friend here that asked me if i could find him a Bakelite buckle... I do not see this happening in the near future. I would be lucky just to find one for sale

Regards, Lars
    Lars, the Holy Grail of buckles lol these are hens teeth!
    Ben

?

I sort of knew when he asked but i hoped he was talking about a type i never heard of before. Thing is he just sent me the exact same 2 pics as in this thread Me and my wife is having a good laugh at the moment.

Regards, Lars

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast