Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Belt & Buckle ID

Article about: I recently purchased a belt and buckle, the buckle is in good condition, an early war pebbled type with no makers mark. Only issue is one of the prongs has snapped, but it didn't cost much s

Dav
    ?

Default Belt & Buckle ID

I recently purchased a belt and buckle, the buckle is in good condition, an early war pebbled type with no makers mark. Only issue is one of the prongs has snapped, but it didn't cost much so am not too fussed. I also received a leather belt with the sale, and am looking for more information. It appears to have some sort of cracked/tar coating on it, with no backing, and no makers mark other than a size. However, there is a large "E" stamped on the attached leather part, as well as a super-scripted "I" to the left, or a square. What would this mean?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Belt & Buckle ID
    P
    Many

Can you post pics of the buckle?

Dav
    ?

Quote by ivanjoaquin View Post
    Can you post pics of the buckle?
    Yep, sure thing. I may have to use an external hosting service, since your forum won't let me upload pictures. I cannot select multiple, and when I choose one the "upload" button does nothing even after the picture has been selected. The attach photos option under additional options does not work either.

Dav
    ?

Belt & Buckle ID
    Belt & Buckle ID
    Belt & Buckle ID
    Belt & Buckle ID
    Belt & Buckle ID
    Belt & Buckle ID
    Belt & Buckle ID

- - ------- - -

Nevermind, got it to work. Sorry about the quality- had to crop and compress the hell out of everything.

Original Ausgeh alu buckle and parade belt, one prong of the buckle is missing

Dav
    ?

Quote by ivanjoaquin View Post
    Original Ausgeh alu buckle and parade belt, one prong of the buckle is missing
    Thank you very much. What do you mean by Ausgeh buckle? Out-go? Also, what steps do you think I should take to restore the belt, if any?

?

No restoration. Please leave it as is with it's original wear and patina. It's better not to mess with original relics.

Cheers, Al

Dav
    ?

Quote by Aldo View Post
    No restoration. Please leave it as is with it's original wear and patina. It's better not to mess with original relics.

Cheers, Al
    Fair enough- what about treating the leather with some olive oil on the back to soften it, as well as some leather butter on the front just to stop it completely falling apart. The buckle is fine, I was not planning on touching that.

Am Ausgeh buckle is a private purchase buckle also know as Extraköppelschloss ir Parade buckle
    As stated please don't touch the belt

?

It's hard to tell from the pictures but the belt doesn't look that bad. After all it has survived over 75 years. However, If the leather butter and oil don't change the color then I say try it to prevent it from deteriorating if it's really that bad. When I first started collecting years ago, I used mink oil on a German Helmet liner that was so dry it was falling apart. I have always regretted it because although it saved the liner it discolored it completely. You will often see helmets with dark discolored liners due to collectors messing with them. Good luck let us know how it works out, Al.