Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Fake Heer buckle

Article about: Hello.. Quite possibly a fake based on the underscore under Dr. and the pigeon head.. The tab is sort of convincing.. I was going to bid on this item but backed off based on that. A dealer t

At the risk of sounding naive, explain the business psychology of "faking" a mundane item like this. Isn't this piece just an old 'repro' that got aged up, possibly from the 1970's, and then someone thought it was real? Was this actually produced to fool collectors (?) and, if so, how much money could there be in it when you think about the actual materials and then machinery to strike and then sew on a marked leather tab? I'm just playing devils advocate here as I know that everything is indeed faked.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake Heer buckle
    P
    Many

?

Have you ever heard of a "Rolex" going for $ 150.00 ? Try E-bay...
    Or... The Dreaded S.S. Skull buckle on I OFFER that poor Grandpa brought back in his ditty kit ??
    It happens ... alot.. And unfortunately... Someone just bought one.... As a fellow member once said
    "Slap a Swaz on it and call it real ".. Some unwitting buyer will purchase it... Trust me... I've been duped..
    Thanks for the repy Nigel Lesgate... I look forward to chatting again sometime.. Gwar

?

By the way... Their really is no psychology... just $$$$$$... Gwar

That would be the pat answer but, I'm talking about a relatively mundane item....not a Rolex. How many thousands of buckles would a guy have to produce to retire and kick back on easy street? Just curious.

?

Nigel, I really do not have an answer to that question... But what I can relay is that when an item (Faked)
    is found to be a fake some dealers or possibly re-sellers will try to recoup their losses on an unsespecting
    victim.. Usaully a collector... And this can sour a future collectors pallate... I personally have a "Oh-man" drawer that I hope will be a lesson to an impulsive buy and, or a lesson to myself for not researching an item so at that point it is "Shame on me".. Most "Buckles" faked have been around since the late 60's or earlier depending whom you ask.. So therefore some have the patina, rust.. stiff leather etc; Remember also.. Some perhaps could have been post war made of inferior materials and literally anything on hand as the germans also made souvenir S.A. & S.S. Daggers in this way too.. After the war.. According to some of my reasearch on this forum for soldiers as a keepsake... So Grandpa was there... Just after the real deal.... IMHO...Gwar..

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    At the risk of sounding naive, explain the business psychology of "faking" a mundane item like this. Isn't this piece just an old 'repro' that got aged up, possibly from the 1970's, and then someone thought it was real? Was this actually produced to fool collectors (?) and, if so, how much money could there be in it when you think about the actual materials and then machinery to strike and then sew on a marked leather tab? I'm just playing devils advocate here as I know that everything is indeed faked.
    Nigel

This fake is sold by dealers for reenactment purposes and can be bought relatively cheap or picked up even cheaper on Ebay, then add an old original tab that you have around or again have bought cheaply and sell it on, bingo a profit. Where these fakes started in eastern europe what we think a small profit might be and not worth it is actually a lot of money to them guys so that's why IMO fakers do what they do
    Ben

OK....I can understand that. But in the grand scheme of things its still pretty much chump change. Thanks for your reply.

Nigel might be chump change to us but in Eastern Europe where these were started and still come from that chump change is a lot of money, hope that makes sense
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Nigel might be chump change to us but in Eastern Europe where these were started and still come from that chump change is a lot of money, hope that makes sense
    I've seen these fakes for sale at Polish flea markets for 100-125 zlotys (20-25quid) for a Polish manual worker that's a fair percentage of a weeks wages!...

Another thing to bare in mind is that we are now seeing faked denazified buckles. The rogues think that we'll think "nobody would fake a denaz buckle" or "nobody would fake a cheap buckle" but they do, and all this "chump change" soon adds up. Right, that's enough "s for one post.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast