Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Unit marked Heer buckle

Article about: This one made me think of our good friend Ben. If anyone can offer up some info on this maker and the markings....I'm sure he can! I've got lots of buckles....but didn't have any unit marked

Default First Unit marked Heer buckle

This one made me think of our good friend Ben. If anyone can offer up some info on this maker and the markings....I'm sure he can!

I've got lots of buckles....but didn't have any unit marked examples - until now! Thanks to Gary for his willingness to part with this buckle!

Added bonus is that it's my first NOWA made piece too - though I don't collect by maker, this is a hard maker to find.

Here are some pics!
    Cheers!

Rob

ps....if anyone can offer up any info on what/how to read the markings that would be great - all I know is that J.R stands for Jager Regiment...right? Ben?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First Unit marked Heer buckle   First Unit marked Heer buckle  

Attached Images Attached Images First Unit marked Heer buckle 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First Unit marked Heer buckle
    P
    Many

Default Re: First Unit marked Heer buckle

more pics....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First Unit marked Heer buckle   First Unit marked Heer buckle  

First Unit marked Heer buckle  

Rob, NOWA is Norddeutsches Nickel-und Silberwaren G.m.b.H., Hamburg, if you look in the M4 makers list they are in there, they were issued the number M4 68 Mate ref the unit marked tabs I dont really collect them, I only have one myself (which came from Gary B via Lakesiders) nice buckle though Rob, from a rare maker with the added bonus of a unit marked tab, happy days !!!!
    Ben

?

15 (Ersatz) Jnfanterie Regiment

Thanks Dimas and Thanks Ben for the info! As to the markings....what would an "ersatz" regiment be? A replacement regiment....I don't get it? Any more info would be great!
    Cheers!

Rob

Rob, I do believe that ersatz in this case is replacement, in some context it can mean non German, foreign. In the war some regiments were totally wiped out and were then replaced. I am not exactly sure but this I believe is a basic understanding of it
    Ben

Thanks Ben...I just find it weird because the buckle is dated 1937. Could this one have been issued (with the markings) just prior to the introduction of the steel buckles? This must have been one of the first "replacement" regiments created given that this is an early war buckle.

Thoughts?
    Cheers!
    Rob

Rob, this is the history of my unit marked buckle, if you ask Ingo (Musketeer) on the WAF forum, he has a data base on most german Units throughout the war, if you read the thread before this called unit marked Kleine & Quenzer you willl see the buckle and the tab ::

Ergänzungsbataillon Infanterie-Regiment 105

Friedensstandort Neuwied, Wehrkreis XII; bildete bei Mobilmachung das III./Infanterie-Regiment
    463 der 263. Infanterie-Division (4. Weile).

after Sept 39 it changed in:
    Infanterie-Regiment 463

1. Aufstellung:

* 26.8.1939 (4. Welle) im WK XII aus den Ergänzungs-Bataillonen I. E/IR 80 Montabaur, II. E/IR 80
    Koblenz und E 105 Neuwied; gab 3.10.1940 den Stab und das III. Bataillon als Stab und I.
    Bataillon/Infanterie-Regiment 436 an die 132. Infanterie-Division (11. Welle) ab, sie wurden ersetzt;
    das I. Bataillon wurde Sommer 1942 aufgelöst, aber im Winter wieder aufgestellt;
    Grenadier-Regiment 463 seit 15.10.1942; das III. Bataillon wurde im Winter 1942/43 aufgelöst und
    am 1.4.1943 durch das l./Grenadier-Regiment 483 ersetzt. Dieses wurde 15.5.1944 wieder l./483, kam
    aber 1.10.1944 erneut zum Regiment, dieses Mal als II./463, während II./463 (alt) aufgelöst wurde.

2. Gliederung:

1939 I. 1-4, II. 5-8, III. 9-12, 13, 14
    1944 I. 1-4, II. 5-8, 13, 14

3. Unterstellung:

263: Infanterie-Division: Westen (Eifel), 1940 Belgien, Somme, 1941/43 Mittelrußland
    (Kaluga,Welish), Oktober 1943 bis 1945 Nordrußland (Newel, Modohn, Kurland)

4. Ersatz:

463 Neuwied u. a., zuletzt St. Avold, WK XII

That means 1939 this Regiment had had 3 Bataillons.
    I. Batl= 1. until 4. Kompanie // II Batl= 5. until 8. Kompanie//
    III. Batl. = 9. until 12. Kompanie.
    13.+ 14. Kompanie don't belongs to any Bataillon..mosty these Kompanies were tank-hunter Kompanies.

Your markings on the buckle and belt means:
    2. Kompanie Ergänzungsbataillon Infanterie-Regiment 105
    The II after the 105 could be the Batallion but I've no further Informations about the Structure of the Ergänzungsbatallion= Addition battalion

After Sept. 39 your E-Batallion (105) changed in
    III./Infanterie-Regiment 463
    3. Bataillion Infantry regiment 463

changed again 15.10.1942 into
    Grenadier-Regiment 463

Last edited by Ben Evans; 01-28-2008 at 08:14 PM.
    Ben

Ben! Thanks so much buddy for all that great information. I know of Musketeer and will certainly ask him for more info...that info that is posted is quite comprehensive! WOW Thanks again buddy! I most certainly appreciate your time!
    Cheers!

Rob

Added some pics so folk can read the text see the markings at the same time, just a point the JR is Jaeger Regiment/Hunter Regiment which is a Infantry regiment, they just wrote JR rather than IR
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast