Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question - Gebirgsjäger Buckle + Belt ?

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, Bought this belt and buckle today. Have no doubts about its authenticity, but on looking closer at the remaining paint on the front & back. I think it may be from a Gebi

?

Default Question - Gebirgsjäger Buckle + Belt ?

Hello Gentlemen,
    Bought this belt and buckle today. Have no doubts about its authenticity, but on looking closer at the remaining paint on the front & back. I think it may be from a Gebirgsjäger. What do members think?, the stamping on the leather tongue is there, but illegible, on the belt is the stamping B.A.B.n 11 37 can anyone help with this marking, although I'm really interested in whether its a Gebirgsjäger belt or not. Any information appreciated.
    Best Wishes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question - Gebirgsjäger Buckle + Belt ?   Question - Gebirgsjäger Buckle + Belt ?  

Question - Gebirgsjäger Buckle + Belt ?   Question - Gebirgsjäger Buckle + Belt ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question - Gebirgsjäger Buckle + Belt ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Question - Gebirgsjäger Buckle + Belt ?

Both are original, the buckle is a standard Heer by what looks like Mathias Salcher and the belt is from a RAD unit I believe
    Ben

?

Ben - Thanks for your post and the makers name. I may have been getting carried away with the thought of the buckle & belt belonging to the Gebirgsjäger, probably knowing the asking price for a Gebirgsjäger belt is three times the price I paid had a lot of influnce on my thinking.
    Regards

Hello Alec,
    Ben is right, the buckle is general Heer issue produced from 1940 and the belt belonged to the Reichsarbeitdienst.
    Gebirgsjäger troopers didn't have a specific belt & buckle, but were issued the same as the rest of the German Army, so unless it's clearly marked from a Gebirgsjäger unit, there is no way to tell...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Hello Gentlemen,
    Thanks for your posts, I did find out B.A.B. 11 37 stamped on the belt could well be - Bekleidungs Anstalt Berlin - 11 37 being issue date. I did see this green coloured buckle & belt being offered as Gebirgsjäger item by a well regarded German dealer, here's a couple of pictures. I fully accept mine is a standard issue buckle & belt, can only think his asking price three times what I paid, raise my hopes.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question - Gebirgsjäger Buckle + Belt ?   Question - Gebirgsjäger Buckle + Belt ?  

Usually markings such as B.A.Bn or B.A. M/L, or B.A.S are used by the Reichsarbeitdienst. These are acceptance markings from Bekleidungsamten. Sometimes you can find the marking R.A.D. before, sometimes not. The 11 39, means that this belt was accepted in November 1939.
    Usually, the Heer acceptance marking is a simple letter for the town, like B for Berlin, E for Erfurt or M for München followed by the year of acceptance (without the month) : B37, E38, M39.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Alec, is that buckle Berge & Nolte?
    Ben

?

Ben - I'm not too well up on buckle makers, in fact I'm pretty clueless, I did have the leather tongue under the magnifying glass again still unable to make out makers name only the date 1940. Should I look out for any makers distinct feature - any suggestions are welcome.

JPhilip - Your first post was spot on, looking over the buckles leather tongue again, holding it in a certain light I can just make out the date 1940 in the middle of the stamp.

After reading your posts, it takes my breath away, thinking about the dealers buckle & belt description and his asking price 220 euro. I agree his item is of a better standard, but everything else, I can only shake my head in disbelief. Thanks for your help.
    Best Wishes
    Alec