Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Reichswehr Belt Buckle

Article about: Hello All, Just got my first buckle. I looked through Ben Evans' quick and dirty guide for an ID. I suppose it is a 100,000 man Reichsheer buckle? No maker's mark I can find. Any input appre

Clyde from Carolina
    ?

Default Reichswehr Belt Buckle

Hello All,

Just got my first buckle. I looked through Ben Evans' quick and dirty guide for an ID. I suppose it is a 100,000 man Reichsheer buckle? No maker's mark I can find.

Any input appreciated.

2. # ADS

Default Reichswehr Belt Buckle

Hello Clyde

Welcome to the forum and thankyou for posting your first buckle toward which I hope will be the start of many to your collection.

As you say, Reichswehr and a rather good nickle silver example at that. Beautiful roundel detail and a super "catch" arrangement by the way.

Regards,

David

Clyde from Carolina
    ?

Default Re: Reichswehr Belt Buckle

Thanks, David. Really enjoyed reading up on these and acquiring this one. Got it locally from Craigslist of all places.

Congrats on what will perhaps be the first of many belt buckles! This is such a great field of militaria collecting: there are HUNDREDS of different buckles out there to hunt down.
    You've started off with a super nice Reichsheer buckle! Congrats!

Rob

I agree. Very nice buckle. These buckles are very seldom marked-except on the tabs-the one exception for some reason is "Pulman& Crone sp.?. which is a tough variant to find. If you are going to stay in the Weimar period or any other for that matter, you should collect buckles in ex.+ to mint condition if at all possible. and in the Reichsheer try to get them w/tabs.
    Welcome to the hobby.

Bill

Clyde from Carolina
    ?

Thanks again for the warm welcome and great information.

Still have a couple of questions about the buckle though.

Were Reichsheer buckles withdrawn from service after their last production in 1938, or did they remain in use in the field? I would suspect they did remain in service, but that's just a guess.

I know my buckle is unmarked, but is there an approximate date range it might fall into? Early or late, etc.

Finally, David mentioned "a super "catch" arrangement by the way," and I am just wondering what he is referring to? Forgive the newbie questions...

Thanks again for any input.

Clyde