Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Reichswehr belt buckle genuine?

Article about: This buckle appears to be original but Reichswehr wish and opinion of experienced collectors. Thanks in advance moderators and collaborators!

Default Reichswehr belt buckle genuine?

This buckle appears to be original but Reichswehr wish and opinion of experienced collectors. Thanks in advance moderators and collaborators!
    Attached Images Attached Images Reichswehr belt buckle genuine?  Reichswehr belt buckle genuine? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reichswehr belt buckle genuine?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Reichswehr belt buckle genuine?

This buckle is very interesting... An original Reichswehr roundel by the looks of it but soldered to what is a brass SA-type box. I would like to see photos of the prongs but I believe this pairing is period done.

Best,
    Adam

I have seen a few of these around before, I would say from the construction and roundel it is original
    Ben

This is not an original buckle. These were produced back in the 70's in the US. Most have 3 solder points which make them easy to identify. Some have been recently made with only two solder points. This type of buckle i.e. brass body w/a nickel faceplate- was never produced by the Reichscheer.

Bill

Well I must admit if these are fakes buckles they had me fooled, I always thought these were original pieces, they are made very well for fakes!
    Ben

Although this buckle is not within my collecting interest, I do agree with Bill here. At first glance it may look period and with a "good" colour and "good" degree of wear, however that brass box shouts out loudly. I think that the three giveaway features are (1) the configuration of the "ears" to include one which is decidedly under sized and slightly half heartedly formed, (2) a pin shroud and claw arrangement that has almost been uncomfortably forced into the buckle and (3), under size solder points, albeit well camouflaged with a copious amount of solder.

Any one of the above three points by variation is I suppose possible on an original buckle, although a display of the three together - no, in my opinion.

Regards,

David

?

Yes, a fake and I have to agree fully with Bill and David.
    I can also confirm that this particular fake is known since the 70's. The fake roundel is further easy to detect on the marked flaw in the attached image.

Best,
    Guido
    Attached Images Attached Images Reichswehr belt buckle genuine? 

Hello All,

Very interesting and one that certainly had me fooled! I did see the rather small solder points, particularly at bottom in the photo, however as David said, masked by a good amount of rather old-looking solder. I have since seen this particular buckle on the TRADERS OF THE LOST SURLPUS - TOTLS.COM website. I would humbly venture here that this particular fake is perhaps from the 1970's as mentioned and therefore a bit "vintage" in it's own right. This would certainly help to explain the convincing age coloration of the brass box. Learning something new every day!

Best,
    Adam

Reichswehr belt buckle three solder points is obviously false!
    Attached Images Attached Images Reichswehr belt buckle genuine? 

Yes mate indeed fake
    Ben