Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?

Article about: Hello All, Here is a piece I just purchased and which appears to be out of Marc V.'s former collection. Not in hand yet, however I believe this is a smaller size (40mm) nickel silver Reichsw

Default Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?

Hello All,

Here is a piece I just purchased and which appears to be out of Marc V.'s former collection. Not in hand yet, however I believe this is a smaller size (40mm) nickel silver Reichswehr buckle. I have not seen this D.R.G.M. marking and variant construction on a Reichswehr before but it resembles some private purchase and under the tunic parade type pieces.

Any comments or info would be most welcome and appreciated!

Best,
    Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?  Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?

Interesting construction. Here are a small one in my collection. I have a 40mm in the group shot but I need to take an individual shot.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?   Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?  

?

Adam,

my brother bought once such a buckle and if I remember right it was sized for a 35 mm belt.

I think also it is a privat purchase piece. A quite similar construction with friction roller is well known from imperial privat purchase buckles.

Best,
    Guido

Nice buckles guys, and not so often seen in this size
    Ben

Very cool buckle! Love the way the back has been constructed. Very neat! Kirby: I too have the same buckle as you. I do believe these had a gold gilt to them when they were first made (KM maybe?)

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?  Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?  Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase? 

I also have a 40mm Reichsheer buckle....but the construction on the back is not like yours Adam.....Here is a pic of the front and back, and one beside it's "bigger brothers".
    Cheers!

Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?  Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase? 

Thanks for the replies all Can't wait to get this one in hand and more photos to follow. Interesting you think it might be a 35mm Guido... I was thinking 40mm as it has "ears." I think private purchase for walking out related purposes is probably the story with this one. Attached here is a P.P. Imperial Prussian in tombak out of my collection and with somewhat similar construction. Rob & Kirby, here's this recent thread related to your 35mm Reichsmarine buckles: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/belt-...-buckle-99908/

Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?   Reichswehr Variant: Private Purchase?  

?

Adam

Here's my buckle. Mine is definitely for a 40mm belt, not for a 35mm one.

Best regards
    Kurt

Last edited by Kurt D; 10-16-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Great looking buckle Kurt! Thanks for sharing!

Rob

Thanks again for all the responses guys and thank you Kurt for your comparative example. The buckle arrived yesterday and, as Ben might say, I'm as pleased as punch Indeed it is the 40mm size. Interesting (and probably very rare) if it is also to be found in the 35mm size.

Best,
    Adam