Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

DJ/HJ Conversion Buckles

Article about: Hello, guys and thanks for the comments. David, thank you for sharing your example and a very nice one it is! I think you are correct that our conversion buckles share the same roundel. Perh

Default Re: DJ/HJ Conversion Buckles

Hello, guys and thanks for the comments. David, thank you for sharing your example and a very nice one it is! I think you are correct that our conversion buckles share the same roundel. Perhaps others will feel differently or know better but to me the two roundels shown appear more linked to Overhoff than Assmann or CTD. If I'm correct about that it would be interesting as my conversion was originally an Assmann DJ and I wonder why it would not have been converted also by Assmann. David's example being marked for Paul Cramer u Co. would also seem to show that the three conversion firms likely purchased surplus DJs from other companies. Perhaps someone can educate me here if that is correct. I'm also curious if these were converted with only leftover, uniused DJ stock or if used buckles were also converted?

Best,
    Adam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DJ/HJ Conversion Buckles
    P
    Many

Hello Adam

I am sure that we have a past and informed thread by Kurt on this subject, although for the life of me I cannot find it. From memory and I emphasise from memory, I think that two key points were (1) three companies being approved for this conversion work and (2), providing a service if requested (cost saving to the eventual wearer) rather than converting in bulk.

Consider how many DJ to HJ conversions we see in relation to the first production nickle silver HJ's. Not many and the DJ to HJ conversion still remains a relatively rare buckle.

Regards,

David

?

Hi all

The order was published in "Reichsbefehl" No. 10 III dated 18 March 1938 and it stipulates that all DJ buckles were to be collected by the "Fähnlein" (low-level units) and sent in batches to (a) Assmann by units within Gebiete 1-9, (b) Dicke by units within Gebiete 10-17, and (c) Overhoff by units within Gebiete 18-26. Small ("childrens") buckles were not affected and any sent in would be returned unworked on. The companies were to return the converted buckles in the same batches to the DJ unit that sent them in. Price was 0.05RM per buckle, and to be paid directly by the unit to the company.

What is clear is that buckles by any manufacturer were subject to conversion, so it would be pure coincidence if, for example, Dicke converted a buckle originally made by themselves. I don't know why so few DJ buckles were in fact converted. I was only able to glance briefly through the 1938 volume of Reichsbefehl, possibly the order was rescinded at a later date. Also, I can't imagine that the companies bought up DJ buckles as the converted buckles were not marketable on the open market and the RZM would surely have intervened if the comapnies had tried to selll converted buckles as new for the price of a new one. All prices were regulated by the RZM, so the companies would not have been able to sell these buckles openly at a discount either.

I wish you all a prosperous and buckle-rich 2011!

Best regards
    Kurt

Many thanks Kurt.

Regards, best wishes and a Happy New Year,

David

Very interesting thread.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Kurt's very interesting statement is supported by the fact, that many conversion DJ/HJ buckles show traces of wear under the second factory applied silver plating.

A Happy New Year to all my fellow buckle collectors!

Guido
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DJ/HJ Conversion Buckles   DJ/HJ Conversion Buckles  

Thanks for the comment, Kurt...most informative and that all makes a lot of sense. Thanks also for that insight, Guido and a very nice example you have. To my eyes it has a bit of a "stand out" appearance to the roundel. A very Happy New Year to all of you!

Best,
    Adam

?

Quote by kirby View Post
    My example.
    Let me try this again my photos didn't load last time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DJ/HJ Conversion Buckles   DJ/HJ Conversion Buckles  

some really great info and some cracking buckles shown here! thanks

?

Hello I added another one of these converted DJ buckles to my collection today.

DJ/HJ Conversion Buckles  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast