Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pfadfinder or freak DJ?

Article about: As David has mentioned....These buckle were used by other orgs. I have one picture and information (at home) that shows the buckle in use by a group of ethnic Germans post-38 (actually the w

?

Default Pfadfinder or freak DJ?

Hi all

Although perfectly at ease with its Weimar/early TR provenance, I'm really at a loss where to place this buckle as, although reminiscent of the DJ design, it has a "reverse" colour scheme. The soldered on rune is also odd. So, perhaps Pfadfinder instead.

Any comments are more than welcome, as would be pictures of similar or identical buckles.

Kind regards
    Kurt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pfadfinder or freak DJ?   Pfadfinder or freak DJ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pfadfinder or freak DJ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Pfadfinder or freak DJ?

Hello Kurt,

An extremely attractive buckle you have shown and one that I cannot remember seeing an exact match to. My vote here is for early "freak DJ." The reverse silver on brass color scheme, variant rune and soldered construction make this a very desirable piece in my eyes. I also really love the wide paddle footed catch. I believe Chad may be able to help here as he holds some of these two-piece DJ's as well as a number of rune variants. Congratulations, this buckle is a great and enviable find!

Best,
    Adam

Gents, I suppose it could be called DJ or Pfadfinder buckle. The runes itself looks like something out of a catalogue from either Assamnn or Steinhaur & Luck I have seen for Pfadfinder buckles. Still whatever it turns out to be very nice buckle
    Ben

I have a buckle with the same type rune...but the brass box is new to me. What a great looking buckle....

Rob

Dear Kurt

On a purely personal note, I do not think that there is the instant correlation of "single Sig rune = DJ". As you know very well, the single Sig rune was adopted by other youth organisations. Perhaps it is more convenient at times for collectors to casually label these buckles as DJ and of course, DJ to some has a stronger and better image than Pfadfinder.

A great buckle that you have shown and a brass box is a rare beast. I have seen many of these single Sig rune buckles which appear to have a brass box, although on closer scrutiny, the brass box once having been lightly nickle silver plated.

Attached are images of another brass box example, although of course with a totally different style of Sig rune.

I hold a one piece buckle which has a very similar design of Sig rune to the one that you have shown. Alas, no other common features and the Sig runes are very similar, however not exact.

Regards,

David

?

An interesting and attractive buckle Kurt. Whilst the design matches the classic DJ pattern, the colouration, i.e. the silver on gold backing, is reminiscent of the NSBO labour belt buckles. I have seen examples of gold runes on gold backing, gold runes on silver backing and now for the first time, a silver rune on gold backing.

Regards,

Carl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast