Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Cleaning rust and information on this buckle.

Article about: I have bought my first Luftwaffe buckle not in the best condition but from a reputable seller to get an idea and feel of an original. Has anyone got a good way to clean up the rust mainly ar

Default Cleaning rust and information on this buckle.

I have bought my first Luftwaffe buckle not in the best condition but from a reputable seller to get an idea and feel of an original. Has anyone got a good way to clean up the rust mainly around the Swastika and how to prevent the metal degrading any further? Also is there any way to distinguish the maker? I cannot see any visible mark on the rear. Any other information on the buckle would be appreciated as I am very new to the hobby. I am aware it is enlisted mans buckle.

Sorry if these questions are rather basic.

Many Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cleaning rust and information on this buckle.
    P
    Many

Maker is JC Maedicke, in ref to the rust I always use very fine wire wool to take off the rust being very careful then clean and wipe off the excess oil. Once dry try and keep in a dry display area and monitor your display on a regular basis.
    Ben

I would not use anything abrasive on the rust around the swastika, this rust appears to be there because the buckle has been in contact with another item of steel and the damp conditions have caused the steel item to rust, what I see looks very superficial and if you soak it in WD40, light oil and rub off with a soft cloth it should go. Steel wire will scratch the surface of the buckle might ruin the original surface.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I would not use anything abrasive on the rust around the swastika, this rust appears to be there because the buckle has been in contact with another item of steel and the damp conditions have caused the steel item to rust, what I see looks very superficial and if you soak it in WD40, light oil and rub off with a soft cloth it should go. Steel wire will scratch the surface of the buckle might ruin the original surface.
    If you use the fine wire wool (the ones they use to clean aircraft canopies) its fine I do it all the time, but hey horses for courses
    Ben

Thanks gents.
    I assuming the latch gave away the maker @Ben? I don't have any fine wire wool to hand so I shall try the WD40 and see how we get on. How do you guys display your buckles?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Way2JU87 View Post

How do you guys display your buckles?
    They wear them.

Sorry. Couldn't resist!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Maker is JC Maedicke, in ref to the rust I always use very fine wire wool to take off the rust being very careful then clean and wipe off the excess oil. Once dry try and keep in a dry display area and monitor your display on a regular basis.
    This was really very good advice on cleaning, care and even better to monitor for decades to come.

?

Quote by Way2JU87 View Post
    Thanks gents.
    I assuming the latch gave away the maker @Ben? I don't have any fine wire wool to hand so I shall try the WD40 and see how we get on. How do you guys display your buckles?
    Check out the sticky thread Collection. You can see various ways collectors display their buckles.