Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reichscheer marine 2 piece buckle

Article about: OK, here are the rest of my Reichsmarine buckles. Comments as always welcome. Bill

Default Re: Reichscheer marine 2 piece buckle

OK, here are the rest of my Reichsmarine buckles. Comments as always welcome.

Bill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reichscheer marine 2 piece buckle   Reichscheer marine 2 piece buckle  

Reichscheer marine 2 piece buckle   Reichscheer marine 2 piece buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reichscheer marine 2 piece buckle
    P
    Many

Note- the tabbed buckles are both mrked Schmole. The first is dated 1933 and the 2nd is dated 1929.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reichscheer marine 2 piece buckle   Reichscheer marine 2 piece buckle  

Last edited by Buckle1; 07-27-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: the 2nd photo is a dupe of #3

Another one for the mix

Ben

Guido,

I hear what you are saying but there is a disconnect in your theory. If both the buckle body and the roundel are genuine as you state and the only legitimate buckles are, as you state are the one piece brass buckles then how did the two come together. At some point, as Reed told me these were produced very early to fill the needs of the infant Weimar/ Reichscheer military including the Reichsmarine then it is quite possible that these were produced for a short priod of time and- as I stated, and Reed stated these were produced very early on by cottage/basement producers using existing Imperial buckle bodies with a new Weimar design face plate produced in brass. After recieving the buckle and having a chance to handle it I have no doubt it is original and the wear on the face plate is the same as one would find on a one piece Reichsmarine. All of the Reichsmarine buckles I have had and have seen suffer from extreme polishing by the owners, as this one exhibits. Based on other comments for the members this is not the only example of this type of construction that has been seen.
    As far as I am concerned this is a good buckle and I was very happy to have gotten it.

Bill

Default Reichsmarine

Most on the forum knows that this buckle is not within my field of collecting, however I do take an interest in Imperial box "conversions".

Bearing in mind that we at times have to expect the unexpected, is it not feasible to accept that in view of some of the very early and fledgling Wehrmacht Heer buckles being seen as "conversion" products (from the FFFF buckle for example), the embryonic and first issue Reichsmarine buckles could similarly have had a rushed, easily produced and make do for the moment "conversion" from Imperial status?

Regards,

David

?

Bill, David,

I have learned that the first Reichsmarine buckle is the smooth die stamped steel buckle with grey paint! These buckles were introduced 1925 for the Reichswehr and probably with the same time for the Reichsmarine.

The brass die stamped Reichsmarine buckle is the second one in the line (since ca. 1927/ 1928), while the Reichswehr introduced the pebbled nickle silver buckle.

So according to my understanding, the brass Reichsmarine buckle (one or two piece) can not be an early type!

Again, a two piece brass Reichsmarine buckle with Imperial box makes no sense to me.

Bill, can you show another example from this type of buckle?

What could be the reasons for the existence a such a piece?

1. It is as Bill stated an early type, introduced temporary in the Reichsmarine (this is the more pleasant variant, but I am personally missing a consistent confirmation or similar buckles for comparison).
    2. It is the result of a contemporary handicraft work (also a pleasant variant).
    3. It is the result of a post war handicraft work (we can't rule out this opportunity, please remember these well faked two piece buckles wich you can find always at Ebay Germany).

Finally I fear we will get no satisfying answer.
    The main thing, Bill, is that you are personally happy with this piece!

Best regards,
    Guido

?

Default Re: Reichsmarine

Quote by David North View Post

Bearing in mind that we at times have to expect the unexpected, is it not feasible to accept that in view of some of the very early and fledgling Wehrmacht Heer buckles being seen as "conversion" products (from the FFFF buckle for example), the embryonic and first issue Reichsmarine buckles could similarly have had a rushed, easily produced and make do for the moment "conversion" from Imperial status?
    David,

we know military privat purchase buckles only from the Reichswehr/ Wehrmacht Heer and Luftwaffe and all from you described conversion variant buckles were produced only for privat use. In opposition to this, two piece Reichsmarine/ Kriegsmarine buckles worn with a Marine parade uniform are unknown!

Best regards,
    Guido

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2