Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vet Bringback Luftwaffe Belt and Buckle

Article about: Hi guys, I bought this and a helmet from the grandson of the WWII vet who brought both items back from Europe. The goods are in the mail, but I am really excited about this buckle so I figur

Default Vet Bringback Luftwaffe Belt and Buckle

Hi guys,

I bought this and a helmet from the grandson of the WWII vet who brought both items back from Europe. The goods are in the mail, but I am really excited about this buckle so I figured I would post the pic I have. Maybe we can get some guesses on the maker until it comes? I can't promise any prizes though.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vet Bringback Luftwaffe Belt and Buckle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vet Bringback Luftwaffe Belt and Buckle
    P
    Many

?

Nice rig buddy.

Looks nice from. What I can see on my phone, looking forward to more pics
    Ben

Nice find!....

Finally got the goods! The provenance on this buckle and the helmet (found here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...ngback-424983/ ) is fantastic!

Both the buckle and helmet were brought back by Sgt. Charles Leslie Paul of the 112th Infantry Regiment, 28th Infantry Division. He fought his way through Normandy and was captured on December 20th, 1944- just a few days into the Battle of the Bulge. After capture he was sent to Stalag IX-B, which American soldiers claimed was among the worst, if not the worst, of the German POW camps.

I figured out this information by using his ASN (written on the belt) to find his POW record in the National Archives Database: NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - World War II Prisoners of War Data File, 12/7/1941 - 11/19/1946

As for the belt itself, it's a very small belt with a Luftwaffe buckle. The tab indicates that it is a Hermann Aurich, made in 1942. I have no idea where he would have found the belt, but it was almost certainly sometimes after his repatriation and before he made it back to the United States.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy! Check out the helmet too!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vet Bringback Luftwaffe Belt and Buckle   Vet Bringback Luftwaffe Belt and Buckle  

Vet Bringback Luftwaffe Belt and Buckle   Vet Bringback Luftwaffe Belt and Buckle  

Vet Bringback Luftwaffe Belt and Buckle   Vet Bringback Luftwaffe Belt and Buckle  

December of 44 was Not a good year to be a prisoner in Any of the camps. The war was Really pounding on the German's and their resources, and they were finding it almost impossible to feed and care for even their own troops, much less enemy prisoners....But, on a good note, they didn't have to put up with captivity Too much longer, anyway.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Mo, nice honest set, maker is Aurich of course
    Ben

?

Nice set.. The Tab is sewn on in a manner that makes it "Backwards" IMO but this is sometimes a trait not unseen on buckles.. The curvature of the tab looks original to the buckle as far as years on it...
    A good set... Can you see the faint maker logo on the buckle itself ??
    It may be under the right wing on the reverse of the buckle... Nice....G

The short catch and long this ears tells us its an Aurich buckle, if it had a short catch and big ears it would be a Osang made buckle, the only two makers that did a catch like that
    Ben

Very nice set! This is how i like them the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast