Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1965 NVA open collar tunic restoration

Article about: As has been shown many times in the past and even in recent times, there are still plenty of amazing deals to be found when it comes to DDR collecting. This time, I picked up this open colla

Default 1965 NVA open collar tunic restoration

As has been shown many times in the past and even in recent times, there are still plenty of amazing deals to be found when it comes to DDR collecting. This time, I picked up this open collar NVA service tunic from 1965, with just 3 euros and 50 cents. Unbelievable right?

This type of tunic was worn by Luftstreitkräfte (Air force) and Luftverteidigung (Air defense). This is an older style, and compared to later tunics, the lapels are notably wider, and the pockets are just slightly more angular. Not to mention the overall construction and material are of higher quality. The gabardine is heavier and feels much softer, less artificial.

But, it has no insignia on it and needs restoration. The old stitch marks and thread remains are still there on the collar, and judging by the size of the area they cover, this was probably a Luftstreitkräfte tunic originally. However, it could also be restored with Luftverteidigung insignia. What do fellow collectors think?

1965 NVA open collar tunic restoration1965 NVA open collar tunic restoration

Kind regards,
    Joel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1965 NVA open collar tunic restoration
    P
    Many

I suppose it comes down to personal choice which way to go with it. But for me the choice would have to the most likeliest option to be correct. Not much help I know, but good luck with whatever you decide to choose.

cheers,
    Steve

+1 from me.

And here it is, gracefully restored. After examining the tunic and looking around Ebay, I decided to go with Luftverteidigung insignia.
    The tunic is now complete with second pattern collar tabs and shoulder boards for an Oberst, fitting a tunic manufactured in 1965. I also added a nice cloth ribbon bar as a complementary element. There's some small tears and holes here and there, and oxidation on the buttons, but overall it is in a very presentable condition.
    1965 NVA open collar tunic restoration1965 NVA open collar tunic restoration

-Joel

?

The result looks very neat! Nice tunic
    May I ask how you attached the collar tabs to the tunic?

Regards, Rik

Quote by Dschop View Post
    The result looks very neat! Nice tunic
    May I ask how you attached the collar tabs to the tunic?

Regards, Rik
    Thanks! I sewed them on by hand with grey thread. Took a while and made my fingers sore, but it was worth it!

-Joel

Nicely done Joel.