Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Blumentarn KVP / NVA

Article about: Good afternoon gents, Looking for a project I have set myself the task of reproducing a representation of an early KVP/NVA soldier in field dress. I have the idea that I want to represent th

Default Blumentarn KVP / NVA

Good afternoon gents,

Looking for a project I have set myself the task of reproducing a representation of an early KVP/NVA soldier in field dress. I have the idea that I want to represent the "Blumentarn" pattern of combat dress but I find I am unsure of the introduction date of blumentarn which of course could make the difference between KVP or NVA.

I think KVP would have used blumentarn as the zeltbahn I show here is MdI marked for late 1952 which is definately within the lifespan of the KVP (Jun '52 - Mar '56) but of course that marking denotes manufacture not actual issue. Anyone have a definate date?

Anyway, it's a very good zelt. No damage and minimal wear for 67 year old fabric!
    The straps are MdI 1962 dated so they are most likely Volkspolizei Bereitschaft issue and I have seen VoPo in camouflage hiding at the side of an East German autobahn waiting to catch a speeding Trabant (most likely to congratulate the driver for his skill and courage!!!)

I would appreciate any input re the dates etc and of course any comments on the zeltbahn.

Blumentarn KVP / NVABlumentarn KVP / NVABlumentarn KVP / NVABlumentarn KVP / NVA

Regards

Mark
    PS If anyone can point me in the direstion of good pieces of blumentarn especially smock and trousers that would be great too!
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-09-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Blumentarn KVP / NVA
    P
    Many

Hello Mark,

That is a very mint looking zelt indeed! While I do not specialize in this area, maybe these links could be helpful. They're in German, but Google Translate is your friend.

http://www.tierfreunde-luebben.de/44101.html
    http://www.tierfreunde-luebben.de/46201.html

-Joel

Thanks Joel, my German is just about good enough to read that. I will study it on my rest days later in the week!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi Mark,

I can't help you with the zeltbahn I'm afraid, but if you check eBay de on a regular basis, you will find plenty of Blumentarn jackets & pants on offer at reasonable prices - although like all early NVA equipment, prices are climbing. I posted my set on the forum back in July last year... put 'NVA Blumentarn combat suit' into the forum search engine and it should bring it up in all its glory.

Cheers,
    Steve

Couldn't find anywhere more appropriate to post this one, but these scalawags are wearing Blumentarn as far as I can tell.

Blumentarn KVP / NVA

Something are the same all over aren't they?

I have a very similar photo somewhere of me and my mates enjoying a "smoker" at the end of an exercise back in the mid '70s.

It is black and white (obviously!), there are about the same number of us all about 20 years old, wearing DPM resting against a wooden hut with weapons and enjoying a hard earned "little green bottle".

Gives one pause for thought really doesn't it?

Thanks for the image

Regards

Mark