MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Border Guards Flag - Opinons Please!

Article about: Hello All, I've come across a border guard boat flag for a fair price. The construction looks good to me and it appears to have signatures/names written on as well. Just thought I'd get some

?

Default Border Guards Flag - Opinons Please!

Hello All,

I've come across a border guard boat flag for a fair price. The construction looks good to me and it appears to have signatures/names written on as well. Just thought I'd get some opinions on it before I look at buying it!

Cheers,

skip01

Border Guards Flag - Opinons Please!Border Guards Flag - Opinons Please!Border Guards Flag - Opinons Please!Border Guards Flag - Opinons Please!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Border Guards Flag - Opinons Please!
    P
    Many

A ships flag of the Coastal Border Brigade. Going off the signatures, it was probably presented to someone upon leaving the service. How do you know its a fair price? It still has several days to go before the auction ends on eBay!

Cheers,
    Steve

Yep, very nice piece of cold war history. Grenzbrigade Küste or as Jerry says The Coastal Border Brigade was a part of the GST (Grenzschutztrueppen) and operated on the Baltic Coast mainly concerned with the border with the British Zone of FRG and the border with Poland.

The word immediately under the central disc I believe is a location *******hafen (harbour) but I can't make out the first part (help needed here Andreas!!) which I at first thought might be Stargard but that is in Poland since 1945 (formerly it was in Prussia).

If it does end at a price you are happy with then I would say it is worth having. Look at TR military flags now.

Let us know

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Yep, very nice piece of cold war history. Grenzbrigade Küste or as Jerry says The Coastal Border Brigade was a part of the GST (Grenzschutztrueppen) and operated on the Baltic Coast mainly concerned with the border with the British Zone of FRG and the border with Poland.

The word immediately under the central disc I believe is a location *******hafen (harbour) but I can't make out the first part (help needed here Andreas!!) which I at first thought might be Stargard but that is in Poland since 1945 (formerly it was in Prussia).
    No; it's some bloke's name: Harry Katterschafka.

The photo is too poor to read it all, but it is clear that the flag has names and addresses written on it. Left of the disc is the signature of someone with the first name Fritz who was from Stralsund (a town in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern), and below that Klaus Peter something was from Neustadt an der Orla (a town in Thuringia).

By the way, just for the sake of accuracy: It's Grenztruppen (GT). (The GST was the Gesellschaft für Sport und Technik, while the Bundesgrenzschutz was the West German Border Guard.)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    the way, just for the sake of accuracy: It's Grenztruppen (GT). (The GST was the Gesellschaft für Sport und Technik, while the Bundesgrenzschutz was the West German Border Guard.)
    D'Oh! I knew that of course, senior moment!! There couldn't be more difference between GT and GST really could there? You wouldn't think I was once kept very busy watching every move of our GT neighbours and taking those "watching you watching me" type photgraphs
    The only time we ever saw any GST bods it was on the DDR National Day Parade in E.Berlin and they looked not even a little like GT.

I usually saw the BGS through the bottom of our respective beer glasses

Funnily enough Straslund crossed my mind for the word I was trying to decipher but I didn't get anywhere near the name you came up with!

Thanks for the correction Andreas

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Funnily enough Straslund crossed my mind for the word I was trying to decipher but I didn't get anywhere near the name you came up with!
    It's an unusual name for sure... and odd-sounding even to German (or at least Bavarian) ears.

(Actually, when I had decyphered it, I did a Google search for the name as I didn't fully trust my own result, but I found that, yes, there really are people named Katterschafka.)

Intriguing, it has a kind of Austrian or possible Hungarian sound to it to my hearing?

Regards

Mark

Intriguing, it has a kind of Austrian or possible Hungarian sound to it to my hearing?

Regards

Mark
    Most of the results for Katterschafka on google are Austrian, with a Harry Katterschafka living in Berlin!...

?

Thanks for the response, guys. Interesting reading