Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

DDR Absolventenabzeichen

Article about: Also know in English as academy badges I have always been fascinated by these since I first encountered them being worn by Soviet Russian officers (there are a lot more Soviet types and I ha

Default DDR Absolventenabzeichen

Also know in English as academy badges I have always been fascinated by these since I first encountered them being worn by Soviet Russian officers (there are a lot more Soviet types and I have about 30 or so I think) so I thought it might be an idea to have a thread concerning just the DDR badges for reference;
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DDR Absolventenabzeichen
    P
    Many

Default Ministerium fuer Staatsicherheit

First The Stasi;

The white is to the prestigious Potsdam Stasi Academy whilst the blue is to the various other institutions that produced officer graduates for the Stasi both have the same pinback;

DDR AbsolventenabzeichenDDR AbsolventenabzeichenDDR Absolventenabzeichen

Edit.

Here is the earlier enamelled version. The difference between the enamel and polyester laquer versions is striking;

DDR AbsolventenabzeichenDDR AbsolventenabzeichenDDR Absolventenabzeichen

Also here is one currently for sale on Ebay. I am not going to condemn it from these pics as I haven't encountered fakes yet but you be the judge. I don't like the texture of the supposed enamel and the reverse finish looks off too.

DDR AbsolventenabzeichenDDR Absolventenabzeichen

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-08-2020 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Nice badges Mark... not something that I have delved in to yet, but I'm sure that I will!

I like them too, it's a shame that many of them have gotten really pricey over the years!

Here's the only one I have, the Absolventenabzeichen des Instituts der Zollverwaltung der DDR "Heinrich Rau" [Graduate's Badge of the Institute for the Customs Administration of the GDR "Heinrich Rau"]. This badge was awarded from 1981 to 1990:

DDR Absolventenabzeichen

DDR Absolventenabzeichen

Quote by Blitzvogel View Post
    I like them too, it's a shame that many of them have gotten really pricey over the years!
    I was quite shocked when I saw what some of them were going for... I might have to reconsider whether it is something that I want to collect!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I was quite shocked when I saw what some of them were going for... I might have to reconsider whether it is something that I want to collect!
    There are many things we all wish we had grabbed cheap when we had the chance! Thankfully there's still stuff that's obtainable with pocket change...

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I must admit that I haven't looked recently, perhaps I should!

The ones I have were obtained in Berlin around 1987 / 89 and were sort of "under the counter" but not expensive by todays standard. If i recall correctly the average was about DM20.

Regards

Mark

Default NVA Officers Military Academy named for Friedrich Engels

Here's another;

DDR AbsolventenabzeichenDDR Absolventenabzeichen

Regards

Mark