Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

DDR Dummy's

Article about: Selection of shots from the past All rubbish and a big job making sure they are rotated correctly!

I know exactly what you mean mateDDR Dummy's
    Regards James

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DDR Dummy's
    P
    Many

Ripper set up there Buddy, Love it!!

Thanks for your efforts Rene. I don't think that people always realise how time consuming it is to set up, take photographs, and then put it all on the forum... and all for a small audience too. It can be a bit frustrating when you know that your best efforts will never be able to draw the same amount of attention as a battered old wreck of a German TR helmet will, but such is life in the DDR collecting world!

Cheers,
    Steve

Very pleasing to see strichtarn equipment displayed like that, thank you.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Ripper set up there Buddy, Love it!!
    I am curious if you perhaps had a reference as to what each piece of equipment was? For example, pictures 21 and 22, what is the brown bag atop the mountain pack? I'm having trouble finding any (atleast in english) diagrams and references for placement of equipment and what each piece of equipment is. And as an aspiring collector of DDR/NVA items, do you have any advice and perhaps any resources where i can find further items to expand my collection? I have several NVA items already on the way which i'm eager to post soon but i feel like theres more. Thanks in advance

Quote by magnetom View Post
    I am curious if you perhaps had a reference as to what each piece of equipment was? For example, pictures 21 and 22, what is the brown bag atop the mountain pack? I'm having trouble finding any (atleast in english) diagrams and references for placement of equipment and what each piece of equipment is. And as an aspiring collector of DDR/NVA items, do you have any advice and perhaps any resources where i can find further items to expand my collection? I have several NVA items already on the way which i'm eager to post soon but i feel like theres more. Thanks in advance
    The German Ebay is the best place to buy DDR stuff, but there are also other sites like germandotmilitaria.com and berlin-military.com.

I'm not aware of any reference books in English so it's good to learn a bit of German when dealing with this stuff. I recommend a book called ''Uniformen der Nationalen Volsarmee der DDR, 1956-1986'', by Klaus Keubke and Manfred Kunz. There is a later version of the book called ''Militärische Uniformen in der DDR 1949-1990''.

Viel Glück!

-Joel

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Thanks for your efforts Rene. I don't think that people always realise how time consuming it is to set up, take photographs, and then put it all on the forum... and all for a small audience too. It can be a bit frustrating when you know that your best efforts will never be able to draw the same amount of attention as a battered old wreck of a German TR helmet will, but such is life in the DDR collecting world!

Cheers,
    Steve
    I agree, but you never really know the benefit it is as reference material and I think it is worth the effort for that alone. Some more obvious interest would be great though!

I'm working on a Blumentarn combat set-up at the moment which I will post soon hopefully. With that in mind does anybody know how much use did the leather belt and "Tragegestell" see with the Blumentarn? I have found a couple of rather poor black and white pictures showing the leather gear but most seem to show the later grey fabric webbing.

I wonder if the leather equipment was used more by the MdI security forces than the NVA as it seems to appear in the anti-terrorist units most often.

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-08-2019 at 08:02 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Blitzvogel View Post
    The German Ebay is the best place to buy DDR stuff, but there are also other sites like germandotmilitaria.com and berlin-military.com.

I'm not aware of any reference books in English so it's good to learn a bit of German when dealing with this stuff. I recommend a book called ''Uniformen der Nationalen Volsarmee der DDR, 1956-1986'', by Klaus Keubke and Manfred Kunz. There is a later version of the book called ''Militärische Uniformen in der DDR 1949-1990''.

Viel Glück!

-Joel
    Nice one Joel you've written all I could do!

I can add this useful link -

NVA Equipment 101...

Quote by magnetom View Post
    G'day the bag is for the heavy NBC suit. I thought I was pretty brave opening the set up

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    G'day the bag is for the heavy NBC suit. I thought I was pretty brave opening the set up

Yep the residual vapour hazard from all that sweat and sauerkraut must have been significant!!!

I remember that according to int briefs we received the WP forces suffered so badly from heat stress and degradation of performance in these that in training they used to slit the suits open under the arms to try and release the heat!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast