Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

DDR KVP medal

Article about: Another recent addition to my DDR medal collection is this numbered example of the 'Kasernierte Volkspolizei Medaille & Urkunde'. The medal is in very fine condition, and is mounted in a

Default DDR KVP medal

Another recent addition to my DDR medal collection is this numbered example of the 'Kasernierte Volkspolizei Medaille & Urkunde'. The medal is in very fine condition, and is mounted in an early pattern padded case. Serial number to the obverse is... 019307

DDR KVP medalDDR KVP medalDDR KVP medalDDR KVP medal

The Urkunde is NOT the one issued with the medal to the recipient, and rather curiously, the space for the serial number of the issued medal has been left empty. I have seen this before on other examples, so a warning to any collectors of these early medals... examine VERY closely the numbers written in on the Urkunde, and satisfy yourself that they are not recent additions.

DDR KVP medalDDR KVP medalDDR KVP medalDDR KVP medalDDR KVP medalDDR KVP medal

The Urkunde has been signed by Lt-General Heinz Hoffman, who in 1949, was involved in the founding of the East German armed forces. In July 1952 he was promoted to chief of the KVP, and in October 1952 he was promoted to Lt-General and held the post until 1955. Some time between 1954 and 1955, the style of handwriting differed on the Urkunde, and this opens up yet another avenue for collectors who like the changes to documents. The picture above is of Hoffman. Click on images to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

DDR KVP medalDDR KVP medal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DDR KVP medal
    P
    Many

?

Very nice mate! As much as I love the medal design I also love the case. So much more appealing than the later ones.

?

Very nice with Urkunde and case. Here's a pic of mine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DDR KVP medal   DDR KVP medal  

DDR KVP medal  

I just love these older cased medals!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I just love these older cased medals!
    Yep so much better than the later plastic and bright plating types!

I posted mine before but it's probably a good idea to add it here for reference if we have a few together.

DDR KVP medalDDR KVP medalDDR KVP medal

Regards

Mark

I wonder if the Urkunden were made with provision to enter the serial number but actual policy in the end was not to do so?
    Can anyone answer this?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DDR KVP medal  
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-19-2019 at 08:18 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I wonder if the Urkunden were made with provision to enter the serial number but actual policy in the end was not to do so?
    Can anyone answer this?
    I have seen several KVP Urkunde with 1955 dates that carry the medal number, so there must be another reason why my 1954 dated example has been left blank. Maybe the Urkunde was issued before the medal in this case? Although extremely unlikely, that is always another possibility!

Update... I've done a bit more digging around for information, and after Heinz Hoffman stepped down as 'Chef der KVP', the wording below the new 'Chef' (Willi Stoph) changed to: 'Minister Fur Verteidigung'. I have found three more Urkunde with dates from 1955 to 1956, and all carry the medal serial number.

DDR KVP medalDDR KVP medalDDR KVP medal

Cheers,
    Steve