Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dutch DDR-Collection

Article about: Good evening ladies and gents! As I enjoy hoovering around on this forum very much, I thought I'd just share some parts of my own (still growing) DDR-collection, too. It all started out quit

On the subject of complete sets, here are some of the first "Russian styled" winter caps - the so-called Ushankas, which replaced the M43-style caps (as seen above) in 1963. They used "embroided" cockades up to and including 1967, I believe - while also issuing metal cockades from about 1965. I just love the look of these caps, even though they are no match for the M43 winter headgear.

Dutch DDR-Collection
    Officers Luftstreitkräfte, 1965.
    Officers Landstreitkräfte, 1963.
    Officers Volksmarine, 1965.

And here is another complete set - more modern. All Landstreitkräfte/Stasi ranks:

Dutch DDR-Collection
    Enlisted men and NCO's, Landstreitkräfte/MfS/Grenztruppen from 1981.
    Officers, Landstreitkräfte/MfS/Grenztruppen from 1967.
    Generls, Landstreitkräfte/MfS from 1979.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dutch DDR-Collection
    P
    Many

Love to see more of your fantastic lot there

Thanks for your reply Rene! So, hereby I'll just add another one of my treasured items!

It's an overcoat I like really much (I like overcoats anyways, even though they take up so, so much space): it's an overcoat from 1964, size 24 (which is the old sizing system, roughly comparable to a small 48, say K48 or M48). Combined with the winter hat shown before, which is from 1965.
    This overcoat, too, has the false French cuffs, which look really good. Strong, stiff material - and again way longer than later overcoats.

Currently, I've got nearly all sorts of overcoats in my collection. I just need a Grenztruppen one, and one from the NVA-Wachregiment. Apart from that, as far as I know, I've got one of all of the post-1956 male winter coats.

Dutch DDR-Collection

Now, it's time for some Zivilverteidigung! Personally, I like the colours they used with this organization, the purple versus the gray of the uniforms. Currently, I own two sets of this fairly tiny organisation:

Oberstleutnant (Lieutenant-Colonel).
    Jacket from 1983, overcoat with cuff title from 1975. I added a Schirmmütze with Wende-kokarde, the way it was worn during 1990.
    Dutch DDR-Collection

Unteroffizier.
    Jacket from 1985. This jacket, too, has the cuff title originally applied. A very nice jacket, though not as nice as the officers version. As for the ranks within the ZV; I have seen only 1 uniform for Enlisted Men made out of the rough fabric known from other EM jackets. Apart from that, all uniforms have been made of officiers fabric.
    Dutch DDR-Collection

Fantastic I haven't seen or known about the ZV!

René, thanks for your reply. The Zivilverteidigung was a typical "Civil Defence" unit, which tried to instruct the peoples of the DDR on how to survive an attack with nuclear weapons (for so far as survival was possible after having been bombed by one of those), for example. Identical to organisations England had during the war, as well.

Time for some pictures of another small organisation, though it is a better-known one: the Wachregiment F. Dzierzynski. This was the Stasi's equivalent to the Wachrgt. F. Engels, which was much more upfront and visible. The Wachrgt. Dzierzynski received its honorary name in 1967 and started wearing the cuff title (permanently) from 1976 onwards. All tunics of this organisation were made out of officers material (same as with other "high profile" units like the Engels-Wachrgt.). The Waffenfarbe was maroon/bordeaux-ish for all of the MfS up to 1982. After that date, only the Wachrgt. continued wearing collar tabs showing the waffenfarbe - the administrative units switched to white collar tabs, showing the colour only on the boards. I currently own half a dozen of their uniforms, of which I'll show you a couple down here. They make for interesting material, me thinks

First up is the uniform for a "Soldat", who is coincidentally also Unteroffiziersschüler and Gruppenführer (hence the two bordeaux-red stripes on the boards). As these units were "officer-styled", they did not wear the black belt, but (as shown here) a brown one. The jacket is from 1969 (with open collar!), as is the overcoat.
    Dutch DDR-Collection

Second is another uniform for a "Soldat" of the Wachregiment - the big difference being the white piping around the collar. These jackets were solely used for the Ehrenkompanien, performing Engels-like guard duties. I currently own two of these jackets, both from 1976 and both with a very stiff cuff title. If anyone spots any of these jackets, be sure to let me know - as I'd very gladly find out if this was customary or not. Not also that this jacket only has 4 buttons, while the one above has 5.
    Dutch DDR-Collection

Hauptmann of the Wachregiment, with MfS academy badge. Nothing fancy, I'd say. Jacket from 1980.
    Dutch DDR-Collection

One of my earlier possessions, a tailor-made "double breasted" (Zweireiher) uniform for a Hauptmann of the MfS (either Wachregiment of regular administrative staff). From the period 1965-1976 (metal collar tabs), as in 1976 they switched to the ghastly cognac-coloured walking out uniforms. The one below, though, is of great quality and is a real looker. Matched with a cap from 1965.
    Dutch DDR-Collection

That's all for today folks.

Cheers for the info, absolutely superb

How about some Grenztruppen? As far as I can see, there's quite some interest in that organisation all over the forum. So, here we go! I've got nearly a dozen Grenztruppen-uniforms, a selection of which will be shown here.

Dutch DDR-Collection
    Up first: uniform for an Oberstleutnant (Lt.Col.) of the Grenzflieger. A small department within the Grenztruppen, the Grenzflieger wore specific uniforms between 1986 and 1990. They were basically the same as the Luftstreitkräfte-uniforms, though obviously with the green Waffenfarbe of the Grenztruppen and the GT-cufftitle. This uniform is from 1986, the cap from 1988. As I'm somewhat downsizing my collection, this one is for sale as well.

Dutch DDR-Collection
    Offiziersschüler 3. Studienjahr (third year), from the mid-80's. Piping around the collars, officers quality material, but Mannschaften-collar tabs.

Dutch DDR-Collection
    Stabsoberfähnrich Grenztruppen, Hauptfeldwebel (also known as "Spiess"), mid-80's. For those of you looking very closely, the Qualifikationsabzeichen does not fit on this uniform.

Dutch DDR-Collection
    Hauptmann, Medizinischer Dienst, from 1962. The very first year the Grenztruppen wore grey uniforms (having been switched from the Deutsche Grenzpolizei, who wore khaki). Collar tabs and Ärmelpatten not out of metal, but out of metal thread.

Dutch DDR-Collection
    Came from the same man as the jacket above, though this would've been his privately purchased walking out tunic. Also with insignia out of metal thread.

Dutch DDR-Collection
    Now this one is something quite special. The jacket is from 1970, which (for those of you with knowledge of the regulations) is "weird", in the sense that the NVA only adopted open collared jackets from 1974. This is not a reworked dark collar jacket, but was made with an open collar in the factory in 1970. These jackets were worn solely by the Grenztruppen-members at the "Grenzübergangsstellen", the border posts. They were Stasi-personell in GT-uniforms and, obviously, wanted to look "modern" with their smart new uniforms. The winter coat and visor that came with this jacket are stamped "DDR", which is sometimes regarded as having to do something with Stasi-stocks.

Keep them coming, this is most educational. Cheers Jan

Quote by Jan Klaassen View Post
    Now, it's time for some Zivilverteidigung! Personally, I like the colours they used with this organization, the purple versus the gray of the uniforms. Currently, I own two sets of this fairly tiny organisation:

Oberstleutnant (Lieutenant-Colonel).
    Jacket from 1983, overcoat with cuff title from 1975. I added a Schirmmütze with Wende-kokarde, the way it was worn during 1990.
    Dutch DDR-Collection

Unteroffizier.
    Jacket from 1985. This jacket, too, has the cuff title originally applied. A very nice jacket, though not as nice as the officers version. As for the ranks within the ZV; I have seen only 1 uniform for Enlisted Men made out of the rough fabric known from other EM jackets. Apart from that, all uniforms have been made of officiers fabric.
    Dutch DDR-Collection
    a small item but I can add this one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2