Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

GDR Leistungsabzeichen & Urkunde

Article about: Another recent acquisition was this 'Performance' badge (Leistungsabzeichen) with 'Urkunde' awarded to Oberwachtmeister Winfried Nicol in June 1965. The rank of 'Oberwachtmeister' - a throwb

Default GDR Leistungsabzeichen & Urkunde

Another recent acquisition was this 'Performance' badge (Leistungsabzeichen) with 'Urkunde' awarded to Oberwachtmeister Winfried Nicol in June 1965. The rank of 'Oberwachtmeister' - a throwback to the TR period, was discontinued by the NVA in 1970. This pattern of badge was in use from 1960 up to 1983, the earliest patterns carried a serial number on the reverse and the fastener was of a different type. The last pattern of badge - in use from 1983 to the disbandment of the GDR military, had a raised oval disc on the back and the fastener was also changed from the 1960 to 1983 type.
    Click on pictures to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve.

GDR Leistungsabzeichen & UrkundeGDR Leistungsabzeichen & UrkundeGDR Leistungsabzeichen & UrkundeGDR Leistungsabzeichen & Urkunde

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement GDR Leistungsabzeichen & Urkunde
    P
    Many

Allow me to elaborate a little, as I find this matter interesting:

The flag of the GDR from 1949 to 1959 was simply the black-red-and-gold tricolor (and thus identical to that of the FRG); the hammer-and-compass national emblem was only added in 1959. Thus, the first model of the badge as awarded from 1956 to 1959 did not yet have the national emblem on the flag, either.

When this was added to the flag - and thus to the badge's design - in 1959, the awarded badges were collected, struck with the national emblem (for which it was necessary to remove and then re-solder the pin assembly) and then handed back to the awardees. These badges can be identified by the circular indent on the reverse side opposite the national emblem. These re-worked badges are rarer and much more expensive than the post-1959 ones (and the non-modified pre-1959 ones even more so).

In 1960, the award number on the reverse side was discontinued.

Over the years, the size of the badge varied very slightly (from 45 x 35 mm to 46.5 x 36.5 mm) and - as mentioned by Harry - the pin assembly changed and the raised oval shape was added to the reverse side; also, the structure of the reverse side went from almost smooth to an increasingly pronounced pebbling. The color and finish of the metal changed over time as well and became lighter and more shiny.

Here are mine (sorry, no early 1956 - 1960 specimens):

(By the way, the predecessor of this badge was the shield-shaped Leistungsabzeichen der Kasernierten Volkspolizei as awarded from 1954 to 1956. It was discontinued when the KVP became the NVA and the new badge was created.)

Very nice pickup Steve! Andreas, nice grouping also! I received my tunic, trousers and cap the other day, I believe the tunic and trousers to be 1974 produced. This cold war era has some really interesting and as yet, not too expensive pieces. I have looked at eBay Germany, just quickly though.

I was tempted by an early cased example with the hammer & compass added later Andreas, but in the end I decided to go for the (much) cheaper option.

Cheers,
    Steve

Nice example, i have a later one!...