Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Grenztruppen der DDR Schirmmütze

Article about: Not sure what to put as the title for this. Hopefully that works I picked this off of ebay a while back, thought it would be a good time to post it here. Its a 1972 dated size 57 DDR border

?

Default Grenztruppen der DDR Schirmmütze

Not sure what to put as the title for this. Hopefully that works

I picked this off of ebay a while back, thought it would be a good time to post it here. Its a 1972 dated size 57 DDR border guards visor. Its construction is of ok quality, not as good as my 1962 visor at all. Oddly enough this visor must of been made using two batches of material or something as there is a noticeable difference in the construction of the front of the visor left and right of the seam, with one side having almost vertical lines and one with lines at an angle.

I am half tempted to gently remove the newspaper stuffed inside to see if there is a date or something on the paper as that would be pretty cool.

Here are the pictures!

This picture is here to highlight the differences in textiles at the seam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grenztruppen der DDR Schirmmütze
    P
    Many

These visors are so often shadowed by Third Reich examples, especially here on the forum. Yet they are every bit as well made and visually pleasing. A very underrated area of collecting. Nice to see some post-WWII era collectibles once in a while!

Regards, B.B.

Hi mate, a perfectly decent cap but it's Volkspolizei not Grenztruppen. Polizei caps were marked MDI, Grenztruppen were marked NVA.

?

Ahhh thanks, Very similar colours. That makes More sense now that I think about it.

Should I ask a moderator to change the title?

Nice cap JB, and in great condition.
    Nick

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Hi mate, a perfectly decent cap but it's Volkspolizei not Grenztruppen. Polizei caps were marked MDI, Grenztruppen were marked NVA.
    Yep, spot on. MdI = Ministerium des Innern ie Ministry of the Interior which had the VoPo or Volkspolizei under command.

NVA = Nationale Volksarmee ie National Peoples Army.

The green band of the GST (Grenzschutztrueppen) was a much lighter shade almost like the Cypress green used by the British Intelligence Corps

Grenztruppen der DDR SchirmmützeGrenztruppen der DDR Schirmmütze

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I unwrapped a small bit of paper without fully removing it from the visor.
    Newspaper date = Dienstag 15 Februar 1972
    BERLINER ZEITUNG

That’s actually a pretty cool addition to this visor then. Was this newspaper only circulated in Berlin? Or could the “Berlin times” be bought elsewhere?

Nice find JB ,here is my DDR and MDI examples for comparison and can make for a good display Grenztruppen der DDR SchirmmützeGrenztruppen der DDR SchirmmützeGrenztruppen der DDR SchirmmützeGrenztruppen der DDR SchirmmützeGrenztruppen der DDR Schirmmütze
    Regards James

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    I unwrapped a small bit of paper without fully removing it from the visor.
    Newspaper date = Dienstag 15 Februar 1972
    BERLINER ZEITUNG

That’s actually a pretty cool addition to this visor then. Was this newspaper only circulated in Berlin? Or could the “Berlin times” be bought elsewhere?
    Berliner Zeitung (Zeitung really means "newspaper" or "News") was the main paper in East Berlin but there were quite a few others in the West; Berliner Morgenpost, Berliner Abendpost, Berliner Rundschau, Berliner Tagepost, Berliner Woche et al. Others in the East included; Komunistiche Montags Zeitung, Die Rote Fahne etc plus loads more if any other old Berlin hands care to expand?

Folded newsprint is often found inside hats like this and on occasion western papers are found in DDR hats. It is a bonus when a period paper from the east is found in a DDR hat. You just need to read German to get the best from it!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."