Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Grenztruppen Leistungsabzeichen

Article about: Up to 1946, responsibility for the security of the East German border fell to the Soviets, but in 1946 the 'Deutsche Grenzpolizei' (DGP) was formed and all responsibility was transferred to

As far as I can make out the miniature was issued with the full size badge.

Cheers,
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grenztruppen Leistungsabzeichen
    P
    Many

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    As far as I can make out the miniature was issued with the full size badge.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Hi Steve, yes that is quite correct and it is my understanding that it was only the civilian "Freiwilliger Helfer der Grenztruppen" that received these for wear on civilian clthes as they did not wear uniform. Although am sure that some would have worn the full size item!

Does anyone know if the mini was introduced at the same time as the full size or was it later?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi Mark,

Here is the information in my reference book... it will give you something to do while we are in lock down.

Being just monolingual, I rely on 'google translator to read my reference books! Click on image to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Hi Mark,

Here is the information in my reference book... it will give you something to do while we are in lock down.

Being just monolingual, I rely on 'google translator to read my reference books! Click on image to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks Steve, is that the Feder & Feder book?

My German is just about good enough to read a reference book but not a novel etc and how I read the passage concerning these is that " DDR citizens who, as border helpers (ie volunteers) received the Leistungsabzeichen der Grenztruppen der DDR also received a miniature version of the badge".

I take that as meaning that only the volunteers received these and not the serving personnel. Although they also got the full sized award. Perhaps the serving GT didn't get the mini as an economy measure because whilst serving there would appear no need to have a badge for civilian attire. Conversely, if that is the case and the mini is deemed more appropriate for civilian wear why were the volunteers given the full size too?

Maybe it's a case of the full size is the actual award but it is only to be worn on a uniform so not having uniform the additional mini is provided to the volunteers?

I wonder if the actual regulations make it clear? They must be around somewhere.

I'm just taking a sneaky 5 mins for a cuppa to write this as I am working from home at the moment.

Stay safe.

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

It is indeed that reference book!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2