Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Grenztruppen uniform set up

Article about: Just recently I found myself really interested in East German collectibles, and I decided to buy some items for my collection while DDR stuff is still reasonably priced. To me the Berlin wal

Thanks Joel, I was kind of hoping to get away with that I noticed it when I was re-sizing the photo but after I had put the kit away again (I don't have room for permanent display of such large pieces

I'll add a pic of the correct fitting later

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grenztruppen uniform set up
    P
    Many

I took my sweet time, but I finally finished my Grenztruppen mannequin display. I opted for a torso only set up.

Unfortunately I couldn’t find the proper tie, so for now it's displayed with a generic shirt and tie I found at goodwill. I added a silver sports badge to the uniform, but I think I may have added it to the wrong spot. Does it belong on the right or left breast pocket?

Let me know what you think!

Best regards- Jarret

Nice I think it goes on the other pocket, here's book mark I found in my sea bookmarks to help.

http://www.tierfreunde-luebben.de/45401.html

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Nice I think it goes on the other pocket, here's book mark I found in my sea bookmarks to help.

http://www.tierfreunde-luebben.de/45401.html
    Thanks!

I really appreciate that awesome link. I can spend a good deal of time studying the uniforms on there.

best regards- Jarret

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    Thanks!

I really appreciate that awesome link. I can spend a good deal of time studying the uniforms on there.

best regards- Jarret
    No probs Jarret, It was lucky I found it the other day as I didn't mark it as DDR it was just a random link!!

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    Wow I really appreciate all of this very helpful info!

Ok so I will get a black leather belt with aluminum buckle. What threw me off with deciding what belt to get was this photo here. It appears to be the same type of uniform that I have, and the same rank too. Maybe this is some special duty solider? Sorry again for the photo issue. I cant seem to upload it correctly.

Again thank you so much for the help!
    I was just re-visiting this thread and as I re-read the OP a couple of things occurred to me;

Jarrets, idea of a "special duty soldier" might not be that far from the truth as many GT at checkpoints etc were members of the PKE (Pass und Kontrolleinheiten) and as such despite wearing GT uniform were actually members of Hauptabteilung VI MfS ie Stasi. Also the soldier in the picture is armed with the DDR manufactured AK47 MpiKms 72 (Maschinen Pistole Kalashnikow mit Schulterstutze 72) which I don't recall ever seeing GT using.

The use of the brown belt might have been explained if he were armed with a pistol in a brown holster but that would still be incorrect because there was a black holster to match the black belt.

However, given the generally sloppy appearance of this individual and the already mentioned inaccuracies of his dress I looked closer still. As stated the belt is incorrect which is not impossible if this were a PKE soldier and the affectatious way he is wearing it pulled down below the waist whilst slovenly in the extreme for being "in the public eye" is not entirely implausible. These points together with the fact that he is wearing no badges at all on his tunic given his obvious age (not a teenage recruit) seem even more odd.

Look at the setting. I don't think this is a checkpoint or similar. It looks more like a public park or such like. It could be the grounds of a government building which adds credence to the Stasi idea but that seems to be cancelled out by the lack of any qualification badges and the fact that he is turned out in absolutely "rag order"

Overall, my thought is that this is a staged photograph and not an actual soldier at all, just the kind of thing one sees in surplus store ads or low end ill informed magazine articles.

Just my thoughts based on what I see and have seen. Anyone else care to opine?

I really should have more to do on a fine Autumnal Saturday morning

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5