Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

My first NVA items.

Article about: Just wanted to share my NVA majors tunic and an NVA visor cap. To offset my Bundeswehr heavy collection, it is time for some NVA; As always, Thanks for looking and comments welcome!

whilst we're in danger of turning this fine NVA thread into one about collecting in general (sorry for that)...but if one only collects the best bits I'd agree with you...I often read here "don't buy a poor quality one...wait till you can get the perfect one" and I totally disagree with that - most of us will NEVER have the resources for that 100% item...but we could at least own a lower quality original one NOW...and when we DO win the lottery we'll trade up....that Trading-Up will always help others onto the first rung of the ladder. And incidentally, several new rungs have been added to the bottom of the ladders in the last 10 years as "Relic" collecting has taken off...I know a number of folk who've started with rusty stuff within their budget before trading up when finances permit.

Now perhaps we ought to let the thread return to NVA stuff....once a HUGE army which completely disappeared.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first NVA items.
    P
    Many

I started collecting NVA items almost three years ago, not because of how cheap it can be, but more so because I have a tangible personal link with that era through my initial military career in West Germany during the Cold War period. I have heard it said that those collectors who missed out on the TR militaria when it was in abundance and cheap in the 1960's, should start collecting the early period DDR militaria before that too starts spiralling to silly prices. An early period schirmmutze can now cost you almost as much as a TR example. As nice as it is to have 'minty' items from any era of collecting, I much prefer to have items that have that 'been there and used' look about them. Even relics have their place in collections, a twisted and battered rusty rifle missing its woodwork can convey more about the horrors of warfare than a little used example ever will. My most recent acquisition of DDR related material was a 'Junge Pioniere' photo album from 1963, and looking through the images, it is remarkable how alike the children are to the Hitler Youth in their dress. My daughter had a look through the other night, and she actually thought that it WAS TR...

My first NVA items.

There is some truly amazing DDR militaria and ephemera out there at very reasonable prices, it only needs someone to take the time to sift through the junk and find the really good stuff being sold. You need not spend a fortune to have a very interesting collection.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 01-14-2019 at 09:12 PM.

It is okay that this thread went a little askew, it is my thread and I like that it developed as if we were just sitting around conversing. I like that feel in a thread. I was drawn to the post war German stuff for the reasons mentioned in my earlier response. I have noticed one recent development for Cold-War collectors, Gowen Militaria seems to have gone out of business, or at least shut down their internet business. That stinks as they had quite a lot of Cold-War items, uniform and otherwise.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4