Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My new NVA M56 Helmet.

Article about: Just came in today, this thing is in really great shape for what it is and i'm very curious what information you guys can give me on some of the markings. Still relatively new to collecting

It's a nice example of the type with the defficiency in the lining mentioned by Steve. Also, as stated the stamp has nothing to do with the DDR and should not be confused with the same marking found on WW2 German vehicle tyres some of which were made pre-war and intended to cover the export market. This is a surplus market "import regulation" mark.

As you said you are new to DDR collecting I thought it might help to point out that is this the latest variation of the DDR stahlhelm most often referred to as the M56/74. The original M56 had a different liner attached by rivets through the shell as can be seen in the pics below. There is also a variation often called M56 "Transitional" or M56/66 which is the original M56 shell fitted with the later liner.
    You can also see in the pics two different types of net. The one on the M56 is the older drawstring type whilst the one on the M56/76 is the last type with hooks. It is also of interest to know that the hook type is said to have been used by the Bundeswehr in the immediate post re-unification period before the current range of composite helmets.

My new NVA M56 Helmet.My new NVA M56 Helmet.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-02-2019 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My new NVA M56 Helmet.
    P
    Many

Thank you all for the treasure trove of information, i wouldn't have ever guessed about the foam lining if it hadn't been mentioned here. The helmet fits comfortably, should i find some foam material to pad around the headband or just leave it as it is? I feel pretty lucky to have found one of these in such a good exterior condition and glad to have solved the mystery of the "MADE IN EAST GERMANY" stamp, makes sense. Thank you all

?

Hi Magnetom,

Nice pick up.
    I too have only recently got into West and East German gear. I was lucky enough to get a M56 helmet with a lot I got in the U.S.
    You probably could find the sponge padding online cheap.

NVA Lot just arrived. Helmet, Visor, Belt, bandoleers, Ammo pouch and Canteens.

Happy hunting,

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new NVA M56 Helmet.   My new NVA M56 Helmet.  

My new NVA M56 Helmet.   My new NVA M56 Helmet.  

MAP
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I think that's correct Rene. The US has for decades had import laws that required imported products to be marked where manufactured. I first noticed the effect of that on knives from Germany exported to the US post WW1. Where "Germany" had to be marked on the blade. Similarly post WW2 sales of the popular British Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife had to have "ENGLAND" stamped on the crossguard to satisify US regulations. I would think these helmets have fallen into the same regulation red tape and the importer has gone for the simple solution of an ink stamp. That at least tells us it was sold in the US probably in early 1990's.
    It certainly goes way back. I have a WW2 1st model German Pith helmet that says "Made in Germany" (not East or West). These were imported by the boat load.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Bought a helmet net to go over the helmet while waiting for my strichtarn helmet cover to be imported.

My new NVA M56 Helmet.

My new NVA M56 Helmet.
    My new NVA M56 Helmet.

The strichtarn helmet cover/hood+net finally showed up, looks great and im pleased with it though im just a bit confused on how it actually installs on the helmet.

Nice one, you roll the net up in the front (hope these pics help?). BTW if it has blue buttons it's 80's, brown it's 70's
    Last edited by reneblacky; 08-03-2019 at 05:43 AM. Reason: added pic

In the spirit of keeping the thread ticking over I thought you'd like to see some DDR helmets in wear with nets on too!My new NVA M56 Helmet.
    I love the expression of the guy top right. He looks totally ~~~~ off!

I'm more worried about Matt Damon (back left)...he looks like he's about to wipe them all out!

I wonder what dictated the use of the strichtarn helmet cover VS. nets or no nets, was it just time period or something else?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast