Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

NEED HELP: Red East German M56/76??

Article about: Hello all, I recently picked up this East German M56/76 from an online auction site where they had it listed as a construction helmet. I bought it out of curiosity as I have never seen an Ea

Default NEED HELP: Red East German M56/76??

Hello all,

I recently picked up this East German M56/76 from an online auction site where they had it listed as a construction helmet. I bought it out of curiosity as I have never seen an East German helmet painted red. What struck me is the paint job doesn't look like someone just took it out back and slapped some paint on. It almost appears as if the liner was removed and the whole shell dipped in paint. The shell stamps are still visible, but the foam portion of the liner has been removed.

NEED HELP: Red East German M56/76??NEED HELP: Red East German M56/76??NEED HELP: Red East German M56/76??NEED HELP: Red East German M56/76??NEED HELP: Red East German M56/76??

Aside from the color, there are also several signatures on the back of the helmet with dates of 2003-2006. Hopefully someone out there has some idea of why this helmet is the way it is. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NEED HELP: Red East German M56/76??
    P
    Many

Interesting. I have not seen a helmet like this before, it could just be a post-wall re-paint for whatever reason. However, it's possible that this helmet was used by the NVA Construction Units (Bautruppe). These units were for men who did not want to serve in the armed forces. They were seen as ''negative/undesirable'' forces by the state, so not many photographs exist of these units.

Here is a photo of Bausoldaten. Some of their helmets seem like they have a different color than the usual grey, perhaps brown? I hope someone knows about this more than I do. The most likely explanation however is that the helmet was painted after GDR ceased to exist.

NEED HELP: Red East German M56/76??
    Last edited by Blitzvogel; 01-17-2019 at 11:56 AM.

I was thinking it's primer paint, but I do not see evidence of this on any of my helmets!

I would hazard a guess that its a helmet which has been put to a private/civilian use. The dates of 2003-2006 - presumably of the signatures, would also point to this. As the East German army no longer existed by then.

I would have never even thought of that. I will definitely need to do some more research. Thank you!