Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

NVA Cooler?

Article about: Just picked up a military backpack style insulated carrier. Maybe someone could help me identify the origin and its use. The model number is "NVA 1981 345" and formed into the bott

Default NVA Cooler?

Just picked up a military backpack style insulated carrier. Maybe someone could help me identify the origin and its use. The model number is "NVA 1981 345" and formed into the bottom. It's green, fiberglass on the outside with an aluminum insert inside. I think it would hold at least a twelve pack of beer.

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NVA Cooler?   NVA Cooler?  

NVA Cooler?   NVA Cooler?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NVA Cooler?
    P
    Many

Thats definitely a peculiar find, possibly for transporting medical equipment like IV bags or something? Interested in finding out too.

Certainly is East German, '81 dated & 345 factory code.
    I'd say it's for hot rations.

Thank you for the info... it will be used for cold rations (beer) at my house.

What's funny, I live in Southern California and picked it up in a garage sale for $5. Had no idea where it had came from but figured it would hold beer nicely and be a great conversation starter. Took me a couple days to find this website. I doubt the seller had any idea the origin as well.

Good move, I use the West German counter part for my beer!

I know first hand the US Mermites keep beer cold for a long time. The East German one should do well.
    John

Awesome!

Enjoy those cooled beers while whistling "the people's flag".

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Certainly is East German, '81 dated & 345 factory code.
    I'd say it's for hot rations.
    I agree that the main use was probably for hot rations which is mostly what troops in the field want. The only cold thing that is even on the priority list is water and if you are doing anything arduous you really can do without water being even very "chilled" or stomach cramps will result.

Most armies have something like this and in the British Army the generic term "Hay Box" has been used (19th century origin from wooden boxes insulated with hay). A more modern item is the "Norwegian Container" which is similar in shape to this item but made of double skinned polythene like water jerrycans etc. It comes with separate internal containers to keep the "meat and veg" apart!

NVA Cooler?

I very interesting piece, thanks for showing.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."