Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

NVA - DDR Saddle-shape visors

Article about: Good day everyone, I was wondering if the East German saddle shape visors are still circulating? I read that they are pretty rare nowadays. I already have a East German officer's visor, but

Question NVA - DDR Saddle-shape visors

Good day everyone,

I was wondering if the East German saddle shape visors are still circulating? I read that they are pretty rare nowadays. I already have a East German officer's visor, but was just wondering if they come up sometimes.

Thanks for your time,

Antonio D.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NVA - DDR Saddle-shape visors
    P
    Many

Quote by AntonioDe View Post
    Good day everyone,

I was wondering if the East German saddle shape visors are still circulating? I read that they are pretty rare nowadays. I already have a East German officer's visor, but was just wondering if they come up sometimes.

Thanks for your time,

Antonio D.
    Antonio--
    The DDR did not really go for the "sattleform" of the Third Reich in terms of high peaks.
    The M-1956 branch-piped visors had somewhat of a saddle shape as compared to the later visors:

M-1956 Visor Thread
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Antonio--
    The DDR did not really go for the "sattleform" of the Third Reich in terms of high peaks.
    The M-1956 branch-piped visors had somewhat of a saddle shape as compared to the later visors:

M-1956 Visor Thread
    thanks a lot stonemint. That thread is great!

One more question though - I read your thread over on Wehrmacht awards, and noticed that you said that the DDR visors were made by Erel rebranded as Emhage I think it is?

Anyways, did you happen to know if Erel still made the visors from the '80s? My cap only has the "1856" number on it besides the NVA and the date code?

Thanks for the kind words.

Erel (like most businesses in East Germany) ceased to exist in 1949, and was nationalized and became a "VEB"
    (Volkseigener Betrieb) from 1950 up to the collapse of the wall in 1989. Hats were still made at the Heinrich Roller Str location, and were from then on marked with either the # "1856" or retailed under the name "Emhage".

Gary Wilkins in his seminal work addresses this in greater detail--here is his site:

LUBSTEIN DIRECTORY

In the 1990s another individual bought the rights to the Erel name and now markets hats branded as such, but they are far cry from what the quality of what Lubstein's factory produced prior to 1945.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Thanks for the Lubstein Directory. I appreciate it.