Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

NVA Medal group

Article about: Gents, I have a question concerning this NVA medal group if anyone can help please; As it comes from the uniform of a Panzer Stabs Faehnrich "der Spiess" it includes as you might e

Default NVA Medal group

Gents,

I have a question concerning this NVA medal group if anyone can help please;

As it comes from the uniform of a Panzer Stabsoberfaehnrich "der Spiess" it includes as you might expect; 5,10,15 and 20 yrs service medals (Treue Dienst) plus two excellent service medals (Hervorragende Dienst) but also a Banner der Arbeit which is what I am unsure about.

I always thought that this was a civil medal not awarded to military personnel.

As I say, I am unsure so can anybody tell me if this medal does belong in the group of a serving soldier or is it likely to have been awarded post service and therefore would be out of place on an Army uniform?

Thanks for all input

Regards
    Mark
    NVA Medal group
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-28-2019 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NVA Medal group
    P
    Many

The Banner Der Arbeit is not a military award. If it was with this group it was awarded for services towards the economy of the country rather than military service.

Thanks, that confirms my thoughts that it must have been awarded post NVA service as it does look to be an original part of the group as mounted.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The Banner der Arbeit was not a military award as such but there were definitely awards made to military personnel.

I have hardly any literature on the subject, but some online research tells me that several generals (for example Heinz Hoffmann) were holders of this order and that awards were made to NVA Pioniere [engineeers] engaged in domestic construction work. (For example, one Major Weber was awarded the 1st class on 10 December 1982: Pioniere der 8. Mot.-Schutzendivision der NVA im Bild: Eine Sammlung ... - Dietrich Biewald - Google Books )

Also, at least awards to NVA units as collectives were apparently quite common (although in such cases, the award could not be worn by their individual members). Two random examples I found:

Obviously, that doesn't mean the decoration has to be original to this uniform, but I wouldn't rule it out, either.

Thanks Andreas, that again fits with my understanding and I suppose it is most unlikely that "der Spiess" would have been so awarded during his service. So, I think my initial assumption that the medal was awarded to him as a civilian and added to his military group is probably the most likely.

Thanks again for the extra info.

Regards

Mark