Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Please Help I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOW

Article about: I had not posted here for quite awhile so earlier I messed up and posted wrong helmet photos and could not figure how to edit the pictures. I'm really sorry so hope this works. I thought thi

then the M56/66 helmet can have the old exposed rivets with the new liner or have the smooth shell with the new liner as long as the shell was made before 1976

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Please Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOW
    P
    Many

JBR
    ?

The M56 originally had a conventional metal armature and leather liner much like WW2 helmets but in 1966 an updated M56 (M56/66) was introduced with an adjustable nylon/leather liner. This was attached to welded on fasteners, rather than with rivets, so the rivets disappeared - except for retro-fitted M56s which had to have the welded on fasteners added but retained the remains of the 3 rivets. Presumably this happened when helmets were returned for refurbishing. The M56/76 has the 66 type armature/liner assembly with welded on fasteners but features a shell that has a slightly altered form, as described above. The confusion comes when different terms are used by collectors for these variants. The helmet with rivets showing, but with the later liner, is not strictly an M56/66 - because it would need to be rivet-less to be that. But it is an M56 that has been brought to M56/66 standard!

My recently acquired M56/66 is the first I've seen in size III. I've seen loads of size IIs. I've only ever seen M56/76s in size III. I've never seem an M56 in size III but a few in sizes I and II.

I'd like to know how the 66-type liners were received by those that had to wear them. I have a size II M56 with a size 59 liner assembly which I can wear comfortably and securely (although actually I'm a size 60). I've had a retro-fitted size II to compare and it is rather less secure and comfortable by comparison. However, the M56/66 size III and the M56/76 size III are not bad at all. However, I think I would prefer the earlier liner. Of course, I never have and never will test this in the field. I suspect an individual with a skull crown that tend to a shallower dome will find the 66 type more acceptable than one with a higher dome. The original liner assembly, I think, caters for a wider range in this respect.

JBR
    ?

Sorry, battle gear, a long winded way of saying 'Yes'!

hi JBR its been a fascinating thread and has generated quite a bit of interest for a few forum members myself included ive just snapped a few photographs of my m56 trio ,the first one you see on the left is dated 1960 and has luckily retained the original liner somehow missing the fitting of the latter liner, the middle m56 is dated 1961 ,as you see this one had the revised plastic/foam leather liner ,the third is dated 1986 and the shell seems more of a light grey than green ,this shell has more of an acoustic ring to it when tappedPlease Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOWPlease Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOWPlease Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOW

JBR
    ?

What size is the M56, James? Good point about the acoustic ring of the M56/76 - presumably something to do with the reduced weight, if it's anything like mine, which also rings? I see you have nets on two of them. I've noticed, in older original photos (late 50s/early 60s), that nets were apparently first attached by the usual string method, rather than by metal hooks as in later pics. I've never found one though. The nearest was a Polish net that was not big enough for the M56 but looked otherwise very like the familiar hooked type in material and construction. Covers are also interesting. I've found four different versions: 1) the dark leaf type pattern from the early to mid 60s 2) the raindrop pattern that followed that 3) a kampfgruppen plain grey/green type and 4) the traffic controller white cover.

hi jbr ,yes ive been down this road before regarding the earlier net ,i too cant find one but did ask the question regarding a polish net i acquired for my vz67 ,my thoughts were as it was another eastern block net perhaps the ddr were issued them but alas no ,i think from memory my earlier m56's are both size 111 ,i am familiar with the covers you mention ,i have the common strichtarn and traffic controller covers thanks james Please Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOWPlease Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOWPlease Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOWPlease Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOWPlease Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOW
    Last edited by James C; 04-04-2015 at 09:11 PM.

JBR
    ?

Nice pics, James. The Polish net on the M56 looks right, I think, so perhaps I have the smaller para helmet net?

If that's a size III M56, James, it's the first I've ever seen - albeit in a photo!

That Traffic Controller with a net over it reminds me of pics I've seen of nets over raindrop covers. However, I've only seen one or two pics, they were in colour and very recent looking, so they could be post 1990 recreations. Do you have any knowledge of this kind of use? John

hi john ,im sorry but after looking over the m56 trio both the early 3 rivit shells are size 11 ,the 86 dated one is size 111 and the reason i added the net was to hold the traffic controller cover in place as due to its tight fit would just ping off at the slightest touch ,i doubt if this cover and net was ever worn in combination ,its just my creation but looked good on display ,hope this helps cheers jamesPlease Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOW

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3