Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Schupo Tschako

Article about: Another addition to my DDR collection... an extremely rare Polizei Tschako. Unlike the West German Tschako which was made from several components, these were made from vulkanfibre which was

Default Schupo Tschako

Another addition to my DDR collection... an extremely rare Polizei Tschako. Unlike the West German Tschako which was made from several components, these were made from vulkanfibre which was pressed into shape. At first glance it can seem as though there are splits in the peaks, but these ridges are caused by the production process as the shape is formed. Click on all images to enlarge.

Schupo TschakoSchupo TschakoSchupo TschakoSchupo Tschako

Apart from the construction methods, the style of chinstrap is quite unique compared to what is usually encountered on the German Tschako. The helmet plate originally displayed the tri-colour shield of the DDR, but later this was changed to the hammer and compass. The earlier plates had two slots cut into the central boss and the new Staatswappen was attached. The helmet was finally withdrawn from service about 1963/1964.

The liner was similar to the one used in the early pattern M56 steel helmet, and there was also an oval cushion affixed to a bracket which runs across the dome of the helmet. The cushion is nearly always missing from surviving examples of this helmet, but this example is complete The liner is dated 1955 and is a quite large size 59/60. Anyone who fancies one of these iconic helmets for their collection should expect to pay for a complete example in good condition about as much as a good TR M40 would cost you.

Side by side with an un-dated West Berlin Tschako from circa 1951 - 1953.

Schupo Tschako

A couple of pictures of the Tschako in wear. Note the weapons being used.

Schupo TschakoSchupo Tschako

Cheers,
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Schupo Tschako
    P
    Many

Thank you for showing.

Mart

Well done Steve! Seems to be in fine condition, and nice to see it even has the markings intact. I'm sure we all wish we could have one Interesting that these were actually made from vulkanfibre...I had no idea!

-Joel