Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual NVA doctor's tunic

Article about: I recently acquired this rather unusual NVA officer's walking-out tunic for an Oberstleutnant with dark green waffenfarbe denoting ''Rückwärtige Dienste'' (Rear services). Combined with the

Default Unusual NVA doctor's tunic

I recently acquired this rather unusual NVA officer's walking-out tunic for an Oberstleutnant with dark green waffenfarbe denoting ''Rückwärtige Dienste'' (Rear services). Combined with the medical cyphers on the shoulder boards, this tunic could be suited for a military doctor. Still needs some ironing and cleaning!

What makes this tunic peculiar is the fact that it's actually been converted from a dark collar tunic! Tunics like this are very rarely seen. Starting in the early 70's, some officers opted to simply convert their old dark-collar tunics to the new open collar model instead of getting a new one. You can notice the conversion by the fact that the top button is much higher than it usually is, and there's even the old button hole ''sewn closed'' on the backside of the lapel (See photo). The manufacture date is K for 1968, and around this time, only the paratrooper units were beginning to switch to the open collar tunic. The rest of the army followed in the early 70's. The tunic is rather large (sg52-1) and came with a visor cap dated 1970.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

-Joel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unusual NVA doctor's tunic
    P
    Many

I can't say that I have ever seen a converted tunic before... very nice too!

Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks Harry, these are indeed a rare breed, and I couldn't resist when I found this! Just to find an officer tunic with factory-sewn cuff bars is quite rare too. A few more photos:

-Joel