Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bulgarian Secret Service Crest?

Article about: Hello all! I am a new member to this forum but have been a collector for almost ten years now. I am a citizen of the United States of America and am a collector of United States Militaria, s

Default Bulgarian Secret Service Crest?

Hello all! I am a new member to this forum but have been a collector for almost ten years now. I am a citizen of the United States of America and am a collector of United States Militaria, specifically World War I through Vietnam era.

My first item to present to this Forum is what I believe to be a Cold War era Bulgarian Secret Service Crest. It came out of an auction lot a while back and has been hiding in the shadows up until recently. I am looking to find more information about this insignia, and quite frankly anything would do. I have tried to look this crest up on the internet but ironically the only reference I found was in a children's book about spies (that's the only way I found out it was Bulgarian).

If anyone could direct me in the right direction and/or shed more light on this crest it would be greatly appreciated!

-McDermut
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bulgarian Secret Service Crest?   Bulgarian Secret Service Crest?  

Bulgarian Secret Service Crest?   Bulgarian Secret Service Crest?  

Here is the only online reference I found:

https://books.google.com/books?id=EO...0Crest&f=false

Anyone?

MAP
    ?

Welcome to WRF McDermut.

Wish I could help but totally outside my area of expertise. I'm sure it is quite a unique item so maybe that is why no one has responded yet. It does look just like the one in the book. Hopefully someone will be around. Best to keep on bumping every now and then.

But I'm sure the guys here would love to see your US militaria as well.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi McDermut,

I would add my welcome to this great forum. Stick around you will love it!!

As for this badge I suggest it is for the Bulgarian Police, a part of the Ministry of the Interior (MVR shown here in the Bularian alphabet as MBP) and is from the very last years of the communist or Cold War period, 1980's I reckon. It closely follows the pattern of similar items used in the USSR MVD (MoI).
    On 9th Sept 1944 the Bulgarian Uprising began when the Bulgarian Government declared nuetrality and tried to engage assistance from the Western Allies. The uprising resulted in the Bulgarian Communist state. On 10th Sept 1944 the Police was disbanded and a peoples militia (of very dubious persuasion) was formed to replace it. Militia is still the word used to describe police in the Russian Federation and of course the police are subordinate to The Ministry of the Interior (or whatever name applies, in UK it is The Home Office).
    So, an intriguing badge and nice to have in the background of a collection of militaria but fairly recent (definately not 1944 vintage or even close) and not especially rare or expensive to collect.

I hope this helps and thanks for showing.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Militia is still the word used to describe police in the Russian Federation
    Hello, Mark!
    Not exactly, since 2011 our "Militia" became "Police" (but of course, it was absolutely pointless to rename).

Best regards
    Michael

MAP, Watchdog, and dimmuborgir95, thank you very much for your commentary. It may be hard to believe, but I've learned more about it in the past three posts than in the past few months! I'm going to try to dig some more and try to find someone who has one as well. A Bulgarian police badge is quite an oddity in the American plains!

-Alex

Navy1635
    ?

You have a cased Bulgarian Honored Employee Badge. Similar to Russian KGB Honored Employee Badge. I would be interested in buying it.