Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need opinion on this helmet

Article about: I very recently bought this helmet for around £20,the seller could only tell me it was Russian, I thought it was possibly an Soviet SSH 40, but from later inspection the Liner and Chinstrap

Default Need opinion on this helmet

I very recently bought this helmet for around £20,the seller could only tell me it was Russian, I thought it was possibly an Soviet SSH 40, but from later inspection the Liner and Chinstrap look suspiciously like the Czech Post war versions of the helmet. There are no dates that I can make out apart from a few markings on the Inside of the helmet which has an ink stamp which says S and some stamps near which read C73, and one marking on the liner Strap which is some sort of number ending in 4. Any suggestions would be greatly Appreciated

Thanks, Stan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need opinion on this helmet   Need opinion on this helmet  

Need opinion on this helmet   Need opinion on this helmet  

Need opinion on this helmet   Need opinion on this helmet  

Default Re: Need opinion on this Russian Helmet

stan i would say judging by the fabric liner pads ,its a hungarian model 50 ,a design based on the soviet ssh40 ,hope this helps ,james

stan i forgot to say its still a desirable helmet and as its in great condition would definately hang on to it

Thanks for the Information, Yeah I thought it looked like an interesting Helmet, and now I Know a bit more about it

If you got that for £20 then its a real bargain - these are much more difficult to come by than a Russian ssh40. By the way, the Czech M53, which you started off thinking it might be, has a very distinctive *leather* liner, very similar to the German M35-type liner (when seen from a galloping horse) which has an absolutely unique pair of metal popstuds at its rear as its absolute defining feature.

See here for more info on your Hungarian helmet -

HNGARO 80

.: World War Helmets - Casque Modèle 50 :.

superb links greg as always ,can i ask what the 73 stamp in the dome denotes please

No idea really - it is unlikely to be a size unless the helmet is colossally large (and anyway I believe the size marking was on the fabric of the liner ), so I would guess a steel batch number. I have just looked at my two examples and neither have anything similar. Some *very* faint ink stamps on the liner (unreadable) but nothing impressed into the shell.

the Hungarian M50 seem less common , you never see that many for sale compared to the later models

the crude canvas liner pads almost look like the type used on the North Korean copy of the Russian M40

but the NK version would have copper rivets and a canvas chin strap

North Korea M40 - Brendon's Helmets