MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military - any information please?

Article about: Can anyone throw any light on the two photos below - The individual (far right) who appears in both images is my late father-in-law, who left Hungary in December 1956 - I believe these photo

?

Default Re: Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military - any information please?

Hi Nick,
    I wish I could give you lots of tips - I'm still fairly new to this collecting craze - only in the last year and a half...
    I don't really know other collectors here in Hungary, and I'm only on this forum. I buy most of the items on "Vatera" (kind of like the Hungarian e-bay) and some of it from ebay.de.
    But probably look into going to some flea markets one of these days...

If you mean seeing Budapest - I would suggest this for sure:
    Sziklakórház - F

and this bunker under the "Gellért Hill" in Buda: where the Germans and Hungarian forces were took their last stand during the seige of Budapest - the bunker was saved in original condition:

Gellérthegyiek a neten: Bunker a hegy alatt (videó)

Cheers,
    Fabe

Quote by NickW View Post
    Interesting items Fabe - we looked on a couple of markets in Hungary and I did get a nice WWII Trench Art shell case decorated with the "Kossuth" Coat of Arms but the only uniform bits we saw were all Russian or Russian derived - Hoping to go again this summer - Budapest and Pecs - any tips on places to look / visit?

?

Unfortunatelly, this is not my set, but I thought I'd post it, for they are really nice photos of the original (M49?) Hungarian sergeant-major / warrant officer (tiszthelyettes) uniform. I think it was sold for around 225 USD for the whole set!

Cheers,
    Fabe

Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?

?

Hi Fabe - The underground hospital is already on the list for this year, but don't think I have come across the Gellert Hill bunker - is it part of the Citadell fortress? We hope to match up some of the famous photos from 1956 Revolution with the actual places in Budapest when we are there - Its hard to believe when you walk around the centre of the city that it was pretty much destroyed twice in the 20th Century!

?

UPDATE:
    the Hungarian M49/51? ( first lieutenant artilleryman ) tunic - long coat - undershirt just arrived...my first ever uniform clothes...there goes my plan to "focus on field-gear"

tunic - in very good shape with nice rare epaulets (usually these tunics are offered with missing epaulets, which are usually cost as much (or more) than a tunic itself), red artillery collar patches are a bit "worn shape" (I might try to find a pair in better shape) - but maybe I'll just leave them as it...
    long coat - also in very good shape - it weights a ton!

nice factory ink-stamps inside the pockets...

one pocket under-shirt - not an item I've seen often - actually never - it is - as you guys would say: salty shape...a bit dirty, with spots of either rust or blood question: would you guys gently hand-wash this shirt in a sink, or just leave it as it is? (see the middle 2 photos)

glad to say: not one button is missing...a pair of boots is on its way, see last 2 pics - only need pants and the cap...I already have M50 helmets.

all 3 items seems to be the same size - can't tell you in numbers - almost an "L" size. I'm a tall dude (192 cm) - more of an XL, so I won't be wearing these, but a dummy with about 180-185 cm height could.

the under-shirt had a small tag with "41" number...maybe that's size number?

see all the pics I just took with crappy camera:

cheers,
    Fabe

Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?Old Family Photo - Hungary 1940s Military -  any information please?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2