Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gold Verwundetenabzeichen w/ holes

Article about: I am interested in adding a gold badge to my collection and came across this one for sale. It is missing the clasp and has two holes in it. Why would someone do this? Was it made to be sewn

?

Default Gold Verwundetenabzeichen w/ holes

I am interested in adding a gold badge to my collection and came across this one for sale. It is missing the clasp and has two holes in it. Why would someone do this? Was it made to be sewn onto a uniform? Otherwise it seems to look ok to me. How much would the holes and no clasp detract from its value?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gold Verwundetenabzeichen w/ holes   Gold Verwundetenabzeichen w/ holes  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gold Verwundetenabzeichen w/ holes
    P
    Many

Quote by Pablo View Post
    How much would the holes and no clasp detract from its value?
    In my opinion they kill it. No serious collector would think of purchasing this badge for their collection as it has very little value in that state and is not a true good, complete example of the type, it's been buggered around with to it's detriment. Shame.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Possibly done to mount it to a collection board? Wow. It has such a beautiful finish left, and if I'm not mistaken, tombak. I agree with Ned though. I wouldn't buy it for the same reasons. Why couldn't they have done that to a grayed out denazified zinc instead, or better yet left it alone even if the catch and pin were lost to time?

Quote by avenger View Post
    Possibly done to mount it to a collection board? Wow. It has such a beautiful finish left, and if I'm not mistaken, tombak. I agree with Ned though. I wouldn't buy it for the same reasons. Why couldn't they have done that to a grayed out denazified zinc instead, or better yet left it alone even if the catch and pin were lost to time?
    Or to sew it onto a uniform, or nail it to a box lid, attach it to a belt??? The badge is of course tombak, the later zinc ones are easily distinguishable by the loss of finish, often total, and the different font used on the number '30'. The faint 'ghosting' of the pin show this one was either a flat tapered one, or a wide pin example.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

ruined.

That is unfortunate, but it was probably (hopefully??) Done before collecting this stuff was a thing. Even gold wound badges are still relatively cheap, and it would be better to wait on one that hasn't been altered.

I certainly wouldn't call a tombak Gold Wound Badge by Hauptmunzamt Wien (30) "relatively cheap" even in average condition. Put it in a correct case and you can nearly double it, but I guess value is subjective, depending on the means of the collector in each transaction.

Regards, Ned

That may be a rare maker which makes the damage even more unfortunate, but the OP stated he wanted to add a gold badge to his collection. This seems like he is not so concerned with getting a rare, and more desireable maker. He can still pick up a decent gold badge with all of the hardware, for fairly cheap. Which I think everyone could agree is a more wise move than buying one in this shape.

?

Thanks for the responses. The seller said it was sewn onto the uniform. I guess I could live with that if that was commonly done, but I have yet to see a photo of a sewn on wound badge.....much less a gold one. I think it would look a bit tacky.

If it is cheap enough, why not get it? It is IMO an original 30 after all, certainly not a rare maker but not so often encountered in nice condition. It could well be period drilled for sewing to a uniform for the soldier who either couldn't be arsed getting it repaired after breaking the catch/hinge or who was genuinely concerned of losing it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast