Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Kurland Wound Badge

Article about: I found this odd and,apparently, unofficial badge on a Latvian History site (https://latvianhistory.com/tag/latvian-ss-legion/)and thought I'd ask if anyone has any further info about it and

Default Kurland Wound Badge

Kurland Wound BadgeI found this odd and,apparently, unofficial badge on a Latvian History site (https://latvianhistory.com/tag/latvian-ss-legion/)and thought I'd ask if anyone has any further info about it and might even have one? The photo on the web site simply said "The Badge for wounded soldiers in Courland" and nothing else. Crudely made, I imagine-if it is genuine-that it was field made.

Kurland Wound Badge
    Last edited by Wagriff; 04-11-2016 at 06:41 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kurland Wound Badge
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Not something I have ever seen OR heard about. Agree, crudely made. I'm a doubter unless someone proves me wrong. Seems like an awful lot of work to go through when they were fighting to survive.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

When you say "crudely made" William, I for one would not have the skills to make that without some serious tooling up my sleeve.
    It would be interesting to see the reverse - if it were carved from a sold piece of steel/iron ( as its rusty ), stamped or cast. In any case, given the conditions on the Peninsula, it is a great effort. If it is stamped you would need some form of die, also if it were cast. I mean, you can even see the pebbling between the swords!!

Verrrry Interesting........

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Yes I agree field made. It looks like a sand casting. Any pic's of the back?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Nope-like I said, the website had one blurry photo and no explanation for it at all. A really odd piece!
    William

For me it is something made in the garage and then put in the ground for a while to give it a more ”been there look”.

/Jonas

Frankly, I don't believe in it at all.

Why should the troops fighting in Kurland even come up with the idea to create an unofficial, special wound badge for themselves, let alone go to the trouble of actually manufacturing it?

Kurland was never taken. For soldiers who were in the last major fight of the war and had repulsed 6 major offensives, it would not surprise me for it to have been a pride thing-such as the cuff titles. But, who knows? I wish the Latvian site had elaborated abit more on it, but no such luck...
    William

?

It is most likely some barracks badge given to a good friend wounded in kurland, and the friends made this to him "for fun" until he recieved his official medal.
    Maybe even given as a joke for a warbuddy in hospital for falling down a ladder or into a well or something similar.

Everything is just speculations as long as zero proofs exists.

Btw if it was a "kurland badge", where is the other 1500 badges like it? Or 500?

?

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Everything is just speculations as long as zero proofs exists.

Btw if it was a "kurland badge", where is the other 1500 badges like it? Or 500?
    Probably waiting to surface on Ioffer & the like.

Regards
    Brett