Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Opinions Please - Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Schwarz - It's my first!

Article about: Hi Guys, Picked up my first Black Wound Badge and I would like to know if it is authentic! There is a maker mark on the back, #3. The last of the photos was taken of the same badge with a di

Stick around Bob, and post stuff here before buying and you'll be many steps ahead. Some of my first items were outright fakes, so I'd take a repainted original any day over that. AND, luckily with a BWB you didn't have to spend the farm, so it's a really good item to have a "learning experience" on if a person has to.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions Please - Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Schwarz - It's my first!
    P
    Many

Hi, actually, as a beginning collector, there is more helpful information available than ever. With books, notes, the "net", and sites like this great one, people with experience like Ade and the other moderators that are willing to help, and those that have gone before us yet have turned around to assist those up and coming, the real minefield that this hobby can be is able to be mostly successfully navigated, as long as one is willing to put in the work and study. I started in the 70's, and items I bought from reputable dealers then, that have lived in my collection for decades, have had to be re-authenticated using new information. And of course I have found that fake here and there, that back then no one knew about because these resources of knowledge did not exist, or were very limited. Dont get me wrong, it is not easy, and can become quite frustrating, but learning can be as rewarding as the hunt and purchase. Good Luck!!!!

Quote by avenger View Post
    Stick around Bob, and post stuff here before buying and you'll be many steps ahead. Some of my first items were outright fakes, so I'd take a repainted original any day over that. AND, luckily with a BWB you didn't have to spend the farm, so it's a really good item to have a "learning experience" on if a person has to.
    I appreciate the encouragement! Thank you

When posting in the Orders and Decorations section, please observe the pinned threads at the top.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    I agree that "3" is for Wilhelm Deumer. You can compare the details with my example. Just because it looks new, does not necessarily it is repainted or new.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thank you Ralph. I will try to use the proper German names for the items I post. And thank you for the photos of your excellent Wilhelm Deumer. The funny thing is when you hold my badge in your hand it does not look so rough like the close up photo, it looks smooth. Admittedly the pebbled background above the helmet is flat as though someone polished the metal down before painting but the cross guards almost match your example.

Thanks again to everyone for your input. I will post a few of my daggers in the proper forum for discussion. Bob

So, in a nutshell - original but repainted.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    So, in a nutshell - original but repainted.........
    Or, possibly poor storage.
    If you look at the condition of the reverse, the paint is also rough with a fair bit of rust on the pin.
    Here is my example with the pin down.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2