Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible medal in photo

Article about: Hi I've got a very old photo of my grandfather from WWII and I've been trying to work out what the various things attached to his uniform are. All I know is that it is a german army uniform

?

Default Possible medal in photo

Hi

I've got a very old photo of my grandfather from WWII and I've been trying to work out what the various things attached to his uniform are.

All I know is that it is a german army uniform with

a diagonally placed ribbon (Tried to provde a picture of something that looks like it but not sure if you can see it!) that appears tobe red in the middle with black and silver linings. It is attached to a button on teh uniform and is on the chest area.

a round whatcould be bronze medal/badge with a swastika in the middle.

The picture is black and white and not the best quality so not sure if scanning it would help to identify anything?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cuba
    Attached Images Attached Images Possible medal in photo 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Possible medal in photo
    P
    Many

Default Re: Possible medal in photo

EK awardee's wore a ribbon like this rather than the actual medal when in battle. Stewy

?

Yes, as Stewy says above this is the ribbon from an Eisernes Kreuz (i.e. Iron Cross).

Regards,

Carl

?

Hi Cuba and welcome.
    The guys above are correct, it is an EK2 ribbon you show. The only other potential ribbon to consider would be a Kriegsverdiesntkreuz (KVK) 2nd class. The KVK ribbon has red, white, black, white, red stripes and possibly could be mistaken for an EK2 in a grainy black and white photo.
    I'm not sure what the other medal might be so please, post a photo of your Grandfather so we can ID the awards and perhaps you could tell us more about him?
    I posted this photo recently in another thread but it is quite good to compare the different ribbons. One guy is wearing an EK2 and the other a KVK2.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible medal in photo  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Cuba View Post
    Hi

I've got a very old photo of my grandfather from WWII and I've been trying to work out what the various things attached to his uniform are.

All I know is that it is a german army uniform with

a diagonally placed ribbon (Tried to provde a picture of something that looks like it but not sure if you can see it!) that appears tobe red in the middle with black and silver linings. It is attached to a button on teh uniform and is on the chest area.

a round whatcould be bronze medal/badge with a swastika in the middle.

The picture is black and white and not the best quality so not sure if scanning it would help to identify anything?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cuba
    Yes, please post more photos of him! We tend to jump at the opportunity to study an individual. Welcome to the forum!

?

Thanks for all the info so far, didn't expect such a great response! I'll get the pic scanned so hopefully my descriptions will make a little more sense.

Thanks guys

Cuba

We look forward to seeing it! Welcome aboard Cuba

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Hi

I've scanned the pic, as I said its black and white but you can just see the button on the bottom right. Any ideas what it is or signifies? Also the skull on the collar is that of particular significance?

Thanks guys, looking foward to what you think!

Cuba
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible medal in photo  

?

Hi Cuba,
    The ribbon is indeed for an EK2, Iron Cross second class. The badge pinned to his breast pocket is a Verwundetenabzeichen, Wound Badge in black meaning he had been wounded once or twice.
    The Skulls on the collar patches means he was in the SS, I'm guessing Totenkopf division. Those with more knowledge on these things will be able to tell you more.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Thank's so much, in a couple of days you guys have given me more than the entire internet could throw up!

I've been told in the past that he was a tank driver during the war and when searching the word Totenkopf it does throw up information about 3rd SS Division Totenkopf which does look to be a very similar badge.

It would be quite a suprise finding out he was in a division of the SS as I had assumed the skull had been almost a generic german insignia regardless of where you served.

I also believe he was captured in France before being brought to England via Scotland. From what I know any medals and badges were taken from him when he arrived in Scotland.

Cuba

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast